brown recluse spider

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by humeco, Apr 9, 2002.

1. humeco

humeco LawnSite Member

I noticed a little bump on my leg while in the shower about 10 weeks ago, thought it was some kinda bruise. It got red and swelled up and I went to a dermatologist and he said it might be a spider bite. Well, to make a long story short, several weeks and 3 different doctors and numerous anti-botics later, on Friday last week I had surgery on a brown recluse spider bite and have a hole about 3" by by 2" in my leg and don't know when I will be able to go back to work. Please, if you ever have any type of skin irritation that won't heal in a few days get to a hospital and get it checked out.

2. Do people really go to a doctor for a spider bite? And they say America is soft.

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

sorry bud . id rather a black widow than that d-- thing.
    good luck in healing

4. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

scary thing is this spider is in about 70% of americas homes... i saw a special on the discovery channel. causes ulcers like yours.

5. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

If in fact it was a "Recluse" you are fortunate to be posting! Spent much time in Miami and the Keys and have seen more than enough of the damage one spider can do. Heal well. Saying be careful is obvious BUT sometimes a story such as yours will make us more aware! Last week one of our guys found a 10" baby Coral snake (alive) in a bale of pinestraw. You all know the potency of smaller snakes! We turned it over to the small local zoo for positive ID. Ugh! Coulda been ugly:eek:

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Another reason why I perfer the change of season atmosphere. Those little buggers cant survive the winter.

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

although ive never been biten by a brown recluse, i have gotten several spider bites, and they hurt really bad. The best thing you can do is sit in a hot tub or shower and sometimes it will aid in the draining. they can be very painful.

8. CBB

CBB LawnSite Member
    from MS/LA

I know several people bitten by brown recluses. Just be happy if you are not like a friend of mine that had to get $5000 in plastic surgery from one bite.

9. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

Hope you get well soon, humeco. Sounds like you got quite a hole there. My bite eventually healed on its own, but it took a long time, the meat around the bite finally just deteiorated and fell off, not pretty.

10. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

Ack! Those things give me the creeps, and I know we have tons of em in our house, old house, big attic, and they're in Oklahoma all the time. I hate even thinking about em. :mad:

Hank