brown rings

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Mycannon, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Mycannon

Mycannon LawnSite Member

Just wondering if yall know what causes big brown circles in st.aug. grass it has some green in these circles. I was reading and maybe there white grubs.

2. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Do a Search...

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Are there smoke rings or halos of yellow on the outside edge?

4. pema

pema LawnSite Member

It is hard to diagnose without seeing but my guess is "fiary Ring'. Most often, the source is the decaying roots of an old tree.

I spent several years growing a Fert/Pest business in Georgia and found that in most cases when Pine trees are removed/stump ground, the remaining organic material after it begins to decay will create an environment favorable to this disease.

If it turns out that your problem is "fairy Ring" there is little you can do aside from digging out the area and resodding.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Pema

I am not a cool season turf guy so I can not give you too much Sh1t about your post. But warm season Fairy ring is very treatable.

6. pema

pema LawnSite Member

Achtung!. I believe resodding is treating.

Most homeowners want immediate results and recovery. Sure, you can apply pesticides and wait, wait, wait!

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Pema

You must be getting your warm season turf information from the corner of McMillan and Reading Rd. South Avondale. First of all this is Brown patch season in Zone 8 through 11 and we have still not proven what the problem is. No one including myself has ask if there is green grass in the middle of the ring. Which might rule out Fairy ring on St Augustine.

I don't try and tell you what is wrong on your alfa lawns so don't try and tell us what to do on fine warm season turf.

8. lawnboyCO

lawnboyCO LawnSite Member

An aeration may also be very beneficial for circular diseases such as fairy ring and necrotic ring spot. In fact that would be my first approach to the situation and hope thats all it takes.

9. How about snow mold, gray?

10. pema

pema LawnSite Member

You're a bitter man Ric!