1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

brown spot on hawthornes

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by advancedlawnsolutions, Feb 17, 2007.

1. advancedlawnsolutions

advancedlawnsolutions LawnSite Member

Hey guys help me with this one. I have some hawthornes that got brown spots on them over the winter. One especially has lost almost have of its leaves. They were planted last spring as 3 gallon plants. I also have August beauty gardenia's in the same bed with the same problem. I have not treated other than general fertilizer. Any help on guiding me through maintaining my evergreens is much appreciated. Turfgrass is my thing.
  2. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

The hawthorns have leaf spot cant really do anything to solve this problem
    i dont recommend hawthorns because of this fungus, majestic beauty hawthorns dont seem to get the spot as bad. Some fungicide will help but its not permanent if the leaves are falling off it is already bad.
  3. advancedlawnsolutions

advancedlawnsolutions LawnSite Member

One plant is pretty bad. about 30% of the foliage is gone. And I'm starting to notice some small spots on others, but the one got hammered 1st for what ever reason.
  4. gpenny

gpenny LawnSite Member

This is the same leaf-spot disease that affects red-tips so badly. You can use a combination of contact and systemic fungiciides (Bayleton/Daconile) however, the timing of applications for control is very important and time consuming. Most homeowners are not going to spend the time doing it nor are they going to be willing to pay for this type of service.
  5. MRMelton

MRMelton LawnSite Member

I had a couple of years ago with hawthornes getting infested with bagworms. Not sure if bagworms would be a problem in the winter though. You probably would've noticed the bagworms anyways.