1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Brown spots, help?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by davis45, Jun 25, 2009.

1. davis45

davis45 LawnSite Senior Member

This is my personal yard, always thick and green and I have never had this problem. Pics are bad but the sky is yellow, getting ready to storm. Best I can do for now, any ideas? Always use Scotts, its only in the back yard, gets quite a bit of shade in the mornings up untill noon. Have had plenty of rain this season also.

brown.jpg

brown2.jpg

brown3.jpg

2. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

It's a disease. Probably brown patch. You'll need to do a fungicide app. Heritage works great but it's expensive. Next season do a preventative app.

3. davis45

Thanks you, sir. I'll give heritage a try..

4. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

After you treat it give it a light dose of fertilizer to grow it out.

5. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, I went through the "brown Patch Hell" last year and after months of reading on here and following everyone's advice the last thing you want to do is give the disease nitrogen?

That will help spread it

6. davis45

So could that be some of the problem? Using Scotts, the yard gets alot of Nitrogen.

7. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

Had a long battle with brown patch last year at this time, not my doing at the time I didn't know and sure didn't think a major LCO would do me wrong but....
    End of May they put 30% nitrogen on my lawn and probably brang the disease with them from another yard they services at the same time.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=235151&highlight=kirk1701

You will learn all you need about Brown Patch there. :drinkup:

This year, I followed these guys advice here on Lawn forum, got my Nitrogen in the ground by mid spring then STOPED. We have 90 degree temps right now so my lawn is a bit stressed being the front gets full sun all day but I can't complain. :walking:

ProLawns right about letting it grow out, don't mow. However I'm not so sure about the heritage (not familiar with) if its something to cure OK, but if its a fungicide I was told they work better if put down before the disease to prevent it. As for the fertilizer, defiantly a no no. :nono:

8. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Also, do a double pass aeration....

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

10. Pythium

Pythium LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

I second brown patch , although seems a little early in the season for it, but had been wet, humid and hot. The "frogeye" pattern is what makes me believe it is brown patch.

Also for preventative control you can try propiconazole. A systemic, triazole fungicide. Works well as a preventative and way cheaper than Heritage, plus it controls dollar spot as well.

I would recommend chlorothalonil but no longer labeled for res. use. Is an awesome contact fungicide.