brown spots

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 20, 2001.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i have a customer whos lawn is driving me nuts. it started with 2 brown spots, these were areas that just seemed to die overnight. dont think its any type of fungus. the rest of the lawn is very green, weed free and looks great. i am starting to see other brown spots apear, again, it seems these r spots that the grass just died overnight. i find no grubs, or cinch bugs. most funguses that ive seen, discolor the grass b 4 it kills it, this isnt like that, just patches of dead, no more roots, grass. looks like drought damage, but like i said, the rest of the lawn is great, she waters like i tell her, one and a half hrs a day, every 3 days. it almost seems like someone is spraying roundup on these spots, starting to think someone is screwing with me. any help would make me very happy. im in central new jersey. thanx

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

No roots? Sounds like grubs. Could be brown patch, what time does she water?

If the lawn is being water 1.5 hours 3 times a week, how many inches of water is it getting? Depending on water pressure it will vary, I would suggest checking to see. I always suggest watering once a week with watering until run-off, water another zone and then coming back until the lawn gets an 1" of water at one time.

Here is a good link: http://www.turfgrasssod.org/trc/water.html

3. bobbygedd

from NJ

yes kirby, seems like grubs, but ive checked and there r none. could it be not enough water? im baffled

4. JJOHN22042

JJOHN22042 LawnSite Member
    from MA

CHECK FOR ARMY WORMS THEY COME OUT AT NIGHT AND EAT THE BLADE OF GRASS.

5. KirbysLawn

look like this:

[​IMG]

6. Female dog?

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

oh god no kirby, it doesnt look like that, is that dog pee?

8. KirbysLawn

No, brown patch.

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Wow,Ray,that is bad.Talk about active brown patch.It almost looks like snow mold in the picture.Bobby,is there any chance its fertilizer burn,is there a thick ,healthy ring right around it?

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

the reason i dont think its fert burn(and god knows i know what that looks like), is because the first spots did start to apear about 2 months ago, i did do a tri and fert app about 6 weeks ago, but i did 10 that day, and no one else has a problem. could this be the result of bad soil? perhaps maybe even the lawn was seeded with crappy seed that is not heat and drought tolerant? what makes this a real pain in the butt is it is my first year at this customers property, i dont know whats been happening the other years. i did speak with a neighbor who said everyone in the neighborhood seems to have a problem with thier lawn in the summer. im stumped