1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Brown Spottiatis

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irritation, Jun 18, 2007.

1. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

Anyone know the cure? One that customers will accept? The same ones that don't want any over spray on the street or drive. The same ones that expect 3 days a week is plenty no matter what the weather. The same ones that want to conserve water but expect their lawns to perfectly green. The same ones that don't want to pay the service call because they think the heads weren't adjusted properly at spring turn on. Please help.

Very hot,dry and frustrated in central Indiana.
  2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Besides telling them to bite a nozzle, which I've done many times,a moisture
    meter sometimes brings them around. You're not alone, someone once told
    me "you don't want all the work". page 347 Portable soil moisture meters,
    get the 24" so you don't have to bend over so much! Item # 7JH-221168benmeadows.com
  3. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

In special cases I tell them to find some magical pixey dust and blow some over the area's and it will take care of it. And some times I tell them to hire a company to come out and do core samples of the soil. But first I tell them to physically stand on the "brown area's" and usually after you hit them with the third head they back away and realize the area is getting water, works 100% of the time.
  4. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

My boss thinks"rocks under the turf" is a knockout awnser..

and @ times he has been right.....
  5. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I've used that line a few times myself. It just gets me that people can't figure out when the lawn starts turning brown they need to water more.:hammerhead:
  6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, had one call today saying things were drying up. I asked how long he was running them. He told me he just increased them to 8 minutes. Sorry, but 8 minutes will not keep it green now that the rain has gone away and the winds have dried everything out.
  7. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Hmmmm, I've got a tee I'm trying to fill in with new grass that I just cut back from 8min to 6min..............10 times/day :)
  8. d.macpeak

d.macpeak LawnSite Member

I am sorry for bothering you with this. I am trying to post a thread asking if anyone knows who the best designers of custom spray trucks are. I know there are a few companies that specialize in this, but they are hard to find. Please post this if you would not mind, or let me know how to send my own post. I appreciate any help you can give. Thanks
  9. Switch them to the WM smartline with the weather monitor. It'll crank the watering up for them.
  10. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Hidden start times and increase the seasonal adjust helps too. If they look at the controller and only see 20 min on the rotors, they don't panic and change things. If you have 3 start times and 200% seasonal adjust, now you have to much water :) Nothing wrong with every 3rd day if you can water an hour or so per zone on rotors each time they run :drinkup: