browser specific webpages....

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by mowingtowing, Mar 20, 2007.

1. mowingtowing

mowingtowing LawnSite Member

We have just started a web page through godaddy and neither my wife or I know html but we are learning as we go. The problem is that the website only works perfectly in Mozilla firefox (on my computer running xp) doesn't show any pictures and doesn't link to any pages using IE7 on my computer. On my wife's mac Safari and IE doesn't work (same problems as my IE7) but Netscape works OK (images not loading correctly). I know its kind of a vague question, but is there any simple fix for this?

2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I would need a copy of your coding to help you in this area.

3. rgabbard

rgabbard LawnSite Member
    from Houston

If you would provide us with a link, I think it would help.

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a stylesheet issue to me.

Either that, or your DOCTYPE is wrong and IE is getting confused.
    It should look something like that.

5. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

let us see some code or the link and i'm sure one of us can help you

6. mowingtowing

I have another friend who should be looking at it tonight, but the more input/opinions the better:)

www.mowingtowing.com

remember, neither my wife or I know html so dont make fun if we did something in the code way the wrong way. OBTW, I uploaded the majority of the webpage from a template I found on Gopher software's website

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Your first problem is that you used Microsoft Word to edit that? Word almost never produces working html. Download a demo copy of DreamWeaver. Its a true authoring program.

The main problem though this line:
    <base href="file:///D:/hpmt%20stuff/webpage/Web%20Template%203/index.html">

This is pointing to the hard drive on your computer, so its telling IE to look there for the images.

Obviously, since this is on the internet, it can't get onto your computer and get the images, so they come up as broken links. Firefox is probably throwing out all the garbage meta tags that word has inserted, and because of that does not have the base url set, so its looking directly at the website and finding the pictures.

For a temporary fix, remove that line. However, you really should consider starting from scratch using a real authoring program if you want to get a quality site.

8. freshfitz

freshfitz LawnSite Member

Looks good to me except i would make your pics smaller they take forever to load.

9. rgabbard

rgabbard LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Visually the site is appealing, however the code behind it is horrendous. I would recommend going to www.w3schools.com and taking the HTML and CSS tutorial. It will help out a lot. If you need any assistance feel free to PM me.

10. mowingtowing

we redid the website and it now works in IE and firefox (not sure about netscape, I dont have it). Any further comments/opinions about the code/layout now?

I guess looking at someones webpage who doesnt know html is like a mechanic looking at someones project who only uses an adjustable wrench or a pipe wrench; sloppy...