Brush Blades-Nothing Big Enough!

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Nov 5, 2010.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I got a new Stihl FS 550 clearing saw. As far as the clearing saw aspect with the circular blade I just assume use the top handle chain saw. As for the giant trimmer head in the light junk/reeds it devastates the heaviest trim line I've ever seen... which I expected. I planned on using the plastic paddles or metal Y blade but Im finding there are none big enough or long enough. They are all made so that a decent string trimmer can run them which works good but its slow due to the width of the cut. I need double the standard size and its starting to look like Im going to have to make something:dizzy: It should be maybe an 18 inch cut. The 550 has plenty power to run it but no product to make use of it.

Im starting to think about bolting a lawn mower blade to the thing...

2. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Member

i use the srm 400 clearing saw wich is the echo equiv. I also have the same problem but my tool supplier suggested i use table saw blades but they are insanly expensive stating at $50 for something that isn't even made for taking brush beatings but it mows down 8 inch saps i guess you can call them stumps by then, with no problem. i use a 16 inch blade and it bearly bogs down when im on a bigger tree. i guess you could try 3/16 cable for heavy brush but that just sounds stupid, but it would not have been the stupidest thing i have done all day. anyways good luck let me know if you find anything.

3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I use an articulating hedge trimmer on the end of my string trimmer.

I just adjust the angle and get a 24 inch clearance path with it and can cut stuff up to 2 inches in diameter.

[​IMG]

4. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Member

that has passed my mine. I have a set, however thats the best way to dull the blades. at $35 a sharpening and over a 100 bucks for new blades it is not worth it. lets say you clear a lot using this technique and your next job is a topiary job, If your hedge trimmers are not sharpended you will damage the bush. Plus you don't have the versitility and raw power as you do with a stihl or echo clearing saw

5. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

thats a good idea with the big table saw blade I might try that but I think I need the whipping effect of the string or paddles. Why not cut down 6 inch trees with a chain saw?
    The cable Im going to try tomorrow but am a little concerned with flying metal shards.

6. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Member

I feel you on the whipping effect, there is none, as for the chain saw for this size tree it goes just as fast, remeber these are rated at, at least 4 HP. unless your carrying a saw with you while clearing why not just go for it. As for the cable, thats exactly why i have not tried this, thats why i said it sounds stupid, but I could be wrong. but let me know how that goes.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  7. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

My uncle was saying they used to make chain saw trimmer line. Not beaver blades but actual chain saw chain. Im guessing theres a reason they dont make it anymore.

8. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

9. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Just get a dedicated head for brush clearing.

10. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Member

thats still a lot of cash when the clearing saw is way more economical, faster, and versitile. but to each his own