brush clearing advice

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by CAG, Apr 29, 2008.

1. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

i have a job to do that consist of clearing pricker bush like plants.. nothing over a inch thick. the area is about 40x150 with bushy material filled in completely. I'm pretty sure if i wanted to waist time i could brush hog it with my tractor but their would be a good amount of work to clean up before i harley rake it and hydroseed it. i don't think i can rent a mulcher for my skid sense it is not high flow.. but i can rent the complete package ( skid and mulcher) for 750 for the day. do u think the mulcher will mulch down fine enough to do a couple hours of harley raking then seed.. or is this mulcher going to leave behind a lot of hand work. thanks in advance for any suggestions chris

2. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

We used out Eliminator rake to brush out and expand the clients yard and then seeded it. We were able to push all the grubbings to another area so we didn't have to haul it away. Don't know if that helps?

3. CAG

from ct

the area in the property has no where to lose material, but i sure wish it did. the area is a Plato sp? up about a 35 degree slope so its not really a area you want to be going up and down. on top of it i just hydoseeded the lawn at the end of last season so i would rather not tear it all up again if possible. i encouraged them last year to do this section when i was installing the lawn but at that time they wanted to have privacy from the houses behind them.
    i hoping the the mulcher will leave the area ready to be power raked and seeded.

4. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

what type of mulcher and machine setup?

5. CAG

from ct

the rental unit in my area is a bobcat 300 track machine.. i will call and try to get the brand of mulcher tomorrow, i just looked the price up on their website tonight when the thought of trying this attachment came to mind. are their any brands or types you recommend to use or not to use for this kind of job?

6. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Use a heavy duty root grapple on the skid. Stuff that small will just tear right out by putting the tines in the ground and going forward. The grapple can then pick up and load all the brush and you will have no roots or stumps to contend with and the soil will be loosened already. Then harley rake and seed. A mulcher or forestry mower will just cause more cleanup work, they throw stuff everywhere, and your still left with stumps and roots.