brush clearing, land clearing.

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bobcatboy, May 29, 2007.

1. bobcatboy

bobcatboy LawnSite Member

been thinking of getting in the business, that market is really booming right know. Just wandering what all you guys think. all your opinions will be greatly appreciated

2. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

How are you going to start out?

what equipment do you have?

3. bobcatboy

I just bought a 07 bobcat s250 highflow machine. not sure what type of cutter head I am going to buy yet I guess my decision will be based on what a few people tell me. I think this is good time to get into this business, just want to make the right moves at the right time

4. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

do you have any work lined up?

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I am curious what made you decide on the S250?

6. bobcatboy

wel I like bobcat. I got a good price on the s250. I paid 35k for it. The machine was loaded with joystick controls, high flow, 2speed,powerquickattach,heat-a/c.
    bucket position. my previous bobcat machine was a s220, loved that machine. I mainly did general skid loader work. But lately I have been noticing that the land clearing business is really taking of and there are no contractors really offering the service so I am thinking of taking a crack at it

7. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

There is a heck of a learning curve with brush mowers and cutter heads. A good cutter head will set you back about 23-25k and up new. Used you may get one in good condition for 17-18k. They wear out fairly fast especially teeth so be careful you don't get someone else's problems.
    You will need lexan or poly window. Glass will last about a day using a brush mower unless it's a rotary that stays on the ground (like a brushcat from Bobcat).
    With all the guys jumping into the land clearing business, you might want to try and offer something a bit different like fixing other guy's messes or grinding up brush piles (or chipping). Seems like everyone and their brother has a machine and pushes a big old pile into the middle of a lot and says "where's my payment?" then takes off. I have built a business around getting rid of brush on smaller lots but the learning curve about killed my checkbook!

One guy I know uses a burn wagon (big pump and big tank) to take care of brush piles. Betwee a tractor with grapple and the burn wagon, he can take care of a number of lots in a day. I prefer grinding but it's a lot more expensive to get into and I find a lot of people won't pay the premium unless they have to (burn bans).

8. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

YellowDog,

Is the S250 enough machine for running a cutter head? I don't know what most of those attachments weigh but I guess around 2000 pounds. That does not leave a lot of capacity left over on a 250. I would also have thought that the more HP both engine and hyd. the better. It would seem like an S300 or larger would have been a better match. Your the man in the know am I wrong?

9. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

The 250, if it's a k series, will run a cutter head. AC takes about 5-6 hp away from you so you are netting about 70 hp to run your machine and hydraulic pump. If you get good at it and use finesse, you can mulch just about anything. I used to mulch with only 31 gpm on g series Bobcats. The cutter head has a lot to do with it. The tushhog and the loftness need less hydraulic power than the fae or magnum or other head. i tried brown bear on a 31 gpm and it wouldn't do squat.

For rotary mowers like davco or brushcat, the s250 is perfect. Davcos leave a rough mulch but will handle more than the 4" it is rated for. A brushcat is great for finishing up and remulching a lot. Of course, I am talking about underbrush 6" and below. Anything bigger and especially hardwoods, I would recommend a bigger machine or cut and chip.
    S250 will be real stable with a heavy head like a shear or mower and it isn't too bad to tow.

10. bobcatboy

The 250 should be plenty of machine, it has 37 gpm at high flow. The 300 and the 250 are basicaly the same machine except for horse power and lift. The three hundred has6 more hp that would probaly be good for some faster recovery if you bog the machine. I had done a ten acre clear for a guy once using a ambusher and a tree shear with my 220 and it did pretty good considering it was'nt a high flow. The thing I am banking on is most guys down here rent the skid with a cutter head.