Brush clearing on steep grade

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by RyanCJ7, Jul 17, 2004.

1. RyanCJ7

RyanCJ7 LawnSite Member

I got my newest customer with only the intention of doing a quick 5k landscape job, but the customer lives on a rather steep 11 acre lot on the lake and before we got a chance to start on the landscaping he said he would like to take care of the overgrowth on his forested lot that are blocking his view of the lake. He basically wants me to clear away everything except for the trees themselves, he wants everything cut down and this is some pretty heavy brush, although its obvious that in some places this has been done before.

The grade is about 45 degrees at the worst parts and the worst brush to be cut away is about 3" diameter, most stuff is 3/4"-1 1/2" though.

I don't want to sub this work out because I would like the experience and have quite a few similar jobs that I could pick up which would be a nice way to make some extra money during the cold season.

My problem is that I hardly have suitable equipment for the job, my skidsteer is practically brand new and I wouldn't dare risk using it on such a steep grade. The best I have is a W/B DR field and brush mower and a dinky little gas powered trimmer/mower.

So the question is what type of equipment could I rent to take care of this job? I'm simply not familiar with brush clearing on such steep slopes.

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Search around and see if you can find a flail mower type of attachment for a skidsteer.

Short of that, a bush hog type of attachment for a skidsteer might work, though either way you will need to do some hand work with a chainsaw.

Rent a tracked skidsteer, something along the lines of a Bobcat T250 or T300 with 18" tracks, or a Cat 277/287.

Slopes that steep you don't want a wheeled skidsteer on anyway.

Or sub it out, but help them do it. You will learn a fair amount that way.

Only other option that I'm coming up with is to do it by hand. You may also be able to do some clearing with a grapple bucket on a skidsteer too.

We've covered some of this info a couple of times in that last month or two, do some searches and see what turns up.

Dan