1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Brush Clearing?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by bkdlawnCo, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Gardenworker

Gardenworker LawnSite Member

Dude, I hope your not in my neck of the woods (no location stated in your profile) because your pricing your services way too low!!!!! You need to charge more than $35/hour for that kind of work if:

1. You're in this business to make money
    2. You want the customer to respect you

I would factor in labour rate ($40/hour as the absolute minimum) plus equipment. How do you know what to charge for equipment??? Easy.... the tool rental places have done all the figuring for you. Add their rental rates to your labour rate and VOILA' you've got a fair and solid quote. This is the method I use and it works for me--hope this helps.
  2. Foz

Foz LawnSite Member

Labor rate $35.00/Hr

Tractor rate with operator $60.00/Hr

Minimum charge of 4 hours including travel time.

We only charge in 4 hour increments unless you go over 8 hours (ex. a 10 hour day).

The question is do you want a hobby or make money?

Assume a pay rate of $15.00 per hour, add to that for insurance, worker's comp., payroll taxes (even if you are solo you need to price for these things so when the business grows you still make $$)...+40% = $21.00 per hour bare cost.

Factor in non billable hours such as prep at the shop, loading time, oil changes, misc. maintenance, time off, etc. and out of a 2,080 hour year (52 weeks x 40 hrs) and the average employee is only billable for around 1,700 hours.

so...$21.00 x 2080 hours / 1,700 hours = $25.69/hour

add to that for profit @ 25% = $32.11/Hour

We have guys that make between $12 and $18.00, so we use $35.00 per hour as that works out on average.
  3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Loopers and chainsaw don't work good on brush. Get a heavy duty (buy-rent ) hand held brush trimmer and put a " Beaver" blade on it. You will be able to cut anything up to 3" in dia, while standing up straight. Just watch out for rocks and dirt.
  4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

You're way too low.

35-40 is even a bit too low for the labor alone.

So basically you're adding a tractor and chipper for no cost.

Jack that rate way up for this type of work, with that equipment.
  5. Haulin' Grass

Haulin' Grass LawnSite Member
    from CT

What about a brush hog ?? I would charge $100 per hour for man/tractor. Your mechanic gets more per hour to work on your tractor. Don't low ball yourself
  6. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

not for brush clearing , price a fecon brush head then tell me if you'll work for 35 an hour. brush clearing is big business my minimum with your equipment with a bushhog would be 125 an hour! hope that helps thanks George