1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Brush Clearing

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by QCS, Jan 23, 2007.

1. QCS

QCS LawnSite Member

Quick question for you all.............. I looked at a job this morning and the customer is requesting some brush removal. The area is 60' in length and approx. 20' wide. It consists mostly of briars and ivy (1/4" to 1" thick)that are approx 3'-4' tall. Everything is dormant now, so it would be a good time to do this. There are some larger trees in the mix and they will remain. The customer wants it cleared and some mulch(2") put down. I was thinking I could handle this in a couple of days. It's kind of tight in between the trees that will stay so I can't use anything large. I was thinking a brushcutter attachment for my Husquvarna. Do you all think that would be the quickest (easiest?) method availible? I'm thinking two loads of brush in my ez dumper to haul away. Is $650 a good price for this? Those thorns are a pain in the ... (literally)

Thanks in advance!

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

20/60 is a small area to clear,what about cutting it with a ztr,your price sounds good how much is the mulch including labor.
  3. QCS

QCS LawnSite Member

I really don't want to take my Hustler in there just in case there's rocks mixed in the thorns and puncturing the tires. I figure I need about 8 yards of mulch an I can get that for $15.00/yd= $120 total.
  4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Rent a small WB brush cutter. We own a billy goat works great for small stuff like that. Especially if all you are going to do is throw mulch down on top of it. Would eliminate having to haul that stuff away which can be a pain to do. I would rent a machine with a grapple bucket if you need to haul it out of there.

Not to sound like an ass but you do realize that stuff will grow right back unless you hit it real good with some round up. Placing a good landscape fabric should help as well.
  5. QCS

QCS LawnSite Member

That's not a bad idea..... I think I'll call around tommorow and see who has one I can rent. It's funny you metioned the stuff will grow back, the property owner said she may want the roots removed. If thats the case, it's going to add another $300. That's going to be a pain due to the small working area and I can't fit a Bobcat in there. The roots dont seem to bad, I think I can use my tiller and rip them out.....
  6. dekalb lawn man

dekalb lawn man LawnSite Member

Instead of trying to remove the roots I would suggest renting the brush cutter,cut down the area,clear the area of all the cut up debri, spray the entire area with a total vegitation killer, go back the next day and till all the roots right into the ground at least 4-6 inches,spray the veg killer again, put down a weed barrier fabric, and then mulch. If you do it right there shouldnt be any growth there for at least 6 months or more. Make sure you stay away from any young trees with the total veg killer, its brutal stuff. As far as your price $650 minus $60 rental for brush cutter,120 for mulch = $470 then take out 30% of profit for winter expenses, 15% for taxes,5% for growth and advertising, and any insurance leaving you with around $300 or so. If $300 is what you need to survive then you did good, if not raise the price. I hope this helps.
  7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Removing the roots will be tuff. In my experience tilling it isn't going to be the answer. They will tangle more in the tiller than they wll rip out of the ground. I would explain to the homeowner it would be cheaper to have it sprayed and a quality lanscape fabric placed over it with a 4" layer of mulch. Explain she'll save the money on the removal. Do you have you pest license? If not subcontract it out.