Brush Clearing?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Ausman, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Ausman

Ausman LawnSite Senior Member

Can anyone tell me what their oppinion is on brush clearing machines. I am looking for a brushcutter low flow to run on low flow skids. Which are the most reliable and what should i steer away from.

2. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

That's YELLOWDOG's area of expertise....bark at him loud enough and he will give you some of his experiences.........

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Cat has a real nice rotary mulcher, Bobcat has a flail that can be used on any flow skid steer. Flail types are the most efficient, the 2 blade lawn mower types suck at mulching wood into chips.

4. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

Any of the rotary's used at 20-22 gpm would do okay on small brush up to 4" intermittent and leave a good product. Real tall brush and thick brush is going to be tough on low flow. Check out US mowers.
    Don't know anything about Bobcat's flail but I thought it was a seppi head. It wouldn't be good for thick and tall brush because you can't lift it without shutting it off. Bobcat has safety features. I use a brushcat on occasion for brush to 4". though I can't lift it, it performs OK but not great.

What will you choppin' down under?

Ron, is the CAT rotary an ammbusher?

I would look at US mower and some of the knockoff's like brushwolf. Don't know much about the knockoff's but the US mowers look tough. Davco may have a low flow mulcher that will probably chop 3" - 4" brush consistently.

5. Ausman

We are using them mainly for grasses and light regrowth, we use them for slashing grasses in drains and in hill slopes where agricultural tractors cannot access safely.

I looked at Dymax Vortex on the net anyone heard of them? Or brushmaster?

We prefer the machines without a gearbox as we find if you use a ratio gearbox to speed up your blades it has the opposite effect when cutting heavy material, the ration makes the machine lug down more and there is not so much flywheel effect as the free runniing direct drive models.

6. YellowDogSVC

from TX

vortex is very similar to davco which I didn't like in grasses and weeds. Thought the 4 blade, hi centrifugal force mowers were better on woody brush. What dealers do you have nearby? If you have a bobcat dealer, and your terrain isn't rocky, you might want to look at a brushcat. What size is your machine and what's your output. I would think you need 78 Liter /minute minimum to mow thick grasses and regrowth brush without bogging down. I take it back. Vortex is either a ripoff of Davco or a licensed copy. Look IDENTICAL to my davco.

7. Ausman

We are doing it fine with Davco but they cost 20k landed australia, i am looking for options, i am an ASV dealer, and i operate my own machines.

8. YellowDogSVC

from TX

Whoa, that's high. I bought a DAVCO for 8500 USD for a high flow. I never liked the cut in grass because the short blades didn't mulch well compared to longer bladed rotaries.

Vortex looks identical. I imagine US mowers would be high, too. I can't believe the US is the only maker of the mowers for this type of work especially with all the greenies and fire danger down under. Hmmm. Would have to do some research and see what's available overseas.

9. Ausman

Yeah im off to the con expo, if anyone is there be happy to have a beer or 3.

We get ripped here by importers.

10. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Quick Attach has a neat flail too for the Lower Flow machines.