brush control in planted pines

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by CTPTURF, Feb 19, 2013.

1. CTPTURF

CTPTURF LawnSite Member

Im helping my brother in law out with his property. He had the rows between planted pines(9acres) bushhogged down two weeks ago but it left a lot of brush waist to head high still standing on the rows.
    I am offering the use of my 600 gallon lawn spray truck and my index finger to roll up the hose and he will be purchasing the herbicide, pulling the hose, and manning the nozzle end.

Question: should he use a 2,4-d based product (Brushmaster) or a glyphosate based product with ammonium sulfate or a combination of the two?

The brush consists of wax myrtles, bay trees, palmetto and young oaks and other assorted plants. Very little grassy plants right now due to unthinned canopy. He does not want to injure the pines.

The land was purchased four years ago and this is the first improvement that he has attempted.

Bring on the suggestions!
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. GW Andy

GW Andy LawnSite Member

Check out the lontrel label for what it kills. I have sprayed a 3 acre field of small pine trees, right over the top with no damage. I also use it for bed weeding junipers. It works great to kill thistles. Just spray the weed and no worry about damaging the evergreen.

http://www.dowagro.com/turf/products/herbicides/lontrel.htm

3. CTPTURF

CTPTURF LawnSite Member

Thanks, I will look at that. Might be cost prohibitive for BIL. These trees are about 8-10" caliper, 30-35'tall. The brush is waist to head high.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

The ag and forestry labeled clopyralid is not as expensive as Lontrel. Also, the label permits application in pine plantations.

5. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

Garlon 4. Dow agro. May be RUP. It may harm your trees. It kills brush...
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Imazapyr, Oust or Velpar are other options for vegetation control around pines. They must be applied at the right time of the year and are not forgiving of inaccurate application.

If the space between the trees was big enough for a brush hog, it is also big enough for a truck or tractor with a boom sprayer, or boomless nozzles. 9 acres is a lot to do on foot.

7. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Metsulfuron will also get some brush. I've learned the hard way on a lawn app when it was a little breezy.

However I'm not sure if it is labeled for that application. I know there are some products designed especially for your type of need.

You could also call your local forestry station. I'm sure they woul advise you for free and may even meet you at the property.

Posted via Mobile Device

8. CTPTURF

CTPTURF LawnSite Member

Yes a tractor with boomless nozzles would be ideal, but we can chip away at this job on weekends until its done. My truck has a 50 gallon drop/mix tank so i will not stress over having to spray out the main 600 gallon tank before resuming lawn care operations during the week.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. CTPTURF

CTPTURF LawnSite Member

Yes he is getting advice from the local forestry service. He is putting together a long term program to manage the pines for maximum yield.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. ToddH

ToddH LawnSite Silver Member