1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Brush cutter for a skid

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Wisentaner, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Wisentaner

Wisentaner LawnSite Member

Looking for thoughts on a good rotary brush cutter for a skid steer. I've been renting a ambusher for my deere 320 and am now ready to purchase on. I hoping there are some bette than the ambusher. Can anyone reccomend a good cutter.
  2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know that there are many more ways to skin that cat. A hyd. motor with sitting on a steel box with blades. What do you not like about the Ammbusher? There are a lot of different manufacturers of them but they all look about the same. Maybe your looking for something more like a Timber Ax from Loftness.
  3. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

4. Kepple Services

Kepple Services LawnSite Senior Member

I just purchased one last week from quick attach. 72" version. I was like you, renting then often enough now that it was time to get my own. It was $5190 delivered to my door by FED-EX freight. I paid a bit extra to get it sooner as I needed it ASAP for a job, but it only added like $150 to the total price.
  5. 7 IRON

7 IRON LawnSite Member
    from VT

Like Ksss,I'm Curious What You Did Not Like About The Ambusher Cutter.
  6. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I like the Brushcat and the Davco but they are for different applications. I don't think too much about ammbusher unless they have changed very recently.
  7. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

personally i like the brush cutter as a 3 pt on a tractor not on a skid i dont know about you guys i only used one once but it was dangerous everything and its mother was shooting at me i ended up pratically swatting at the brush and covering up in the cab
  8. YellowDogSVC

from TX

Skidsteer brush cutters are designed to be used with an enclosed cab (primarily). I like the brushcat because it has a lift limit device that shuts off blades if you raise it. Too many guys raise the blades to eye level in a skid and that is inviting disaster. Once you get used to a skid steer brushcutter, the mowing difference can be night and day compared to a tractor. Not only are you more maneuverable, the skid steer brush mowers appear to mow lower to the ground at least that has been my observation after using both types. I also like the fact that I can get right up to and under trees without having to back up under trees which can be dangerous on a tractor.
    I like the brushcat because of the roller but some conditions make the roller an obstacle to mowing (sand, really wet grass, and rocky terrain).
  9. YellowDogSVC

from TX

I didn't like that the rear housing tending to catch on stumps and grass clumps and rip them out of the ground. Without a roller the ammbusher was difficult to control on uneven terrain. I also think it needs a blade shut-off if you lift it too high.
  10. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

:hammerhead: I demoed a brushwolf for my ASVRC30 it lasted about 1/2 hour before it rolled a 1/4" key in the driveline. So, I ended up making my own. The brushwolf would have cost about $4500 at the time. I figure my version cost me about $2000 in time and materials, and mine is sturdier than the factory one. Leaves a few bucks for:drinkup: !