brush cutters

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bobcatboy, Jan 15, 2006.

1. bobcatboy

bobcatboy LawnSite Member

I have used rotary cutters before and was not completely satisfied with there performance. I was wondering what you guys think are good attachments for this type of work. Getting ready to buy one so some good input would help alot.

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Loftness makes some of the beefiest shredders out there, but they're fairly expensive. Are you looking for the tree shredders or just a flail mower?

3. bobcatboy

I am looking for an attachment that can go from all grass to 5-7 inch brush fairly quickly and efficiently.

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

It may take two attachments to meet those specs. The rotory brush cutter (Ammbusher type or a flail type mower) for the grass and a Timber Ax for the heavier brush. The Timber Ax uses solid mounted knives on a drum. I don't know how they work in straight grass but I doubt that it will leave a nice finished product in grass although you could call and ask. They seem to work well in heavier brush. Considering that the rotory mowers are not that expensive having both doesn't seem to be that big of a deal if it comes to that. The Timber Ax is expensive. The carbide teeth type cutters (Brown Bear, Fecon) are even more expensive and seem to be marketed toward heavier type work. I see that Loftness also offers a carbide tooth version of the Timber Ax. You'll want a high flow machine and most likely a cab unit. I don't know of one product that can go from grass to 7" stock and do a clean job on both.

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly, you'll need one for grass and one for the trees. The reason being that the knife setups are different. The grass knife setups are still on a drum, but it's a much smaller drum with less knives so it doesn't require as much power to sling them around. The carbide setup seems to be the best way to go, but as Kaiser stated the Fecon ones are way expensive.

6. bobcatboy

I miss-worded earlier, what I meant to say is a attachment that would be good comprimise for both situations. I used an ambusher for a job before and I think it did ok. The work I am getting into I need somethinfgthat is giong to produce results. what do you guys think of skidsteer solutions brushmower

7. TerraFirma Excavating

TerraFirma Excavating LawnSite Member

What type of machine are you putting this on? Skidsteer, loader, tractor, ...??? A lot of rotary cutters and flail mowers need higher flow rates to perform well.

8. janb

janb LawnSite Senior Member

SSS seems to offer both Flail and rotary, and as ksss said it is difficult to get results with one machine, but I'm hoping to find that combination myself. Can't be toting around a bunch of extra accessories.

I am thinking that it will be a swinging knife flail, but they can get tangled up in tall wet grass.

this is a 'homemade' rotary version that has some nice features, (exposed portion of leading blade), but I haven't got ahold of the guy for details
    http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=1337

9. bobcatboy

I think I am going to go with the skidsteer solutions rotary high flow unit. This unit seems to be the happy-medium between the two attachments.

10. jcrane

jcrane LawnSite Member