brush hog work.

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by pea, Jul 7, 2004.

1. pea

pea LawnSite Member

What tractor should I get to do brush hogging jobs? I want something with enough power but small enough I can haul it easy?
  2. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

This depends on a number of things, like how much money do you want to spend, and how do you plan to haul your machine? You should plan on at least a full size PU with a tandem axle trailer. Bigger machines will work faster, but of course they cost more, and may require a bigger truck and trailer. My tractor is only 18 hp with a 42" brush hog. It will cut anything the bigger ones will, just not as fast.
  3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Exactly what hose jockey said. As long as the brush hog is matched to the tractor, they all do about the same. I have a 21hp kubota with a 48" brush hog. Never a problem with it.
  4. pea

pea LawnSite Member

Ok, thanks for the infor.

FULTRTL LawnSite Member
    from 70526

I have a Kubota L3010 with a 5ft brush cutter on does a great job. you can get one Kubota BX series with a 4ft cutter and 4 wheel drive for about $6500.00 that would handle most anything you do.
  6. bbhlawn

bbhlawn LawnSite Member

I have a Kubota BX1500 with a loader and all sorts of 3 point attachements. Just keep in mind if you are going to buy a small compact tractor get 4 wheel drive. The older 2 wheel drive are cheaper, but you'll spend alot of time wishing you had bought the 4 wheel drive.

I learned the hard way.
  7. blublazes

blublazes LawnSite Member

yeah, get the 4wd, it will really come in handy even though you might not think it would benefit you. We have a New Holland TC 40D with loader and a 72" bush hog, I have to use a gooseneck to haul it but thats no biggie for me, just make sure you can haul what you buy safely with the vehicle you have