1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

brush hogs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kev-lawn, Apr 16, 2005.

1. kev-lawn

kev-lawn LawnSite Member

Just wondering what a brush hog costs, what size saplings can they cut through, what brands are best? I know that is a lot of questions but any help would be great. Thanks!
  2. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

can get for 200 but a good one goes for 500 and up dont know brands so can't help there but we did a feial and had alot of smal trees about 1" cut them fine
  3. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

The last woods 72" bushhog that we got was arround 1500. It will mow anything you can fold under. Biggest I have cut was about 3 inches.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have a John Deere brush cutter. Its served me well so far. Many many brands out there. Start at about $500 new for cheap ones and go up to about as much as you want to spend.
  5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

There are many good brands of Bushog's. Some of the cheaper ones are King Kutter, Howse, Grizzly and Big Bee to name a few. Some of the better more expensive ones are Bushog brand, Woods, Rhino, M&W, JD, Modern, and Bush-whacker are some better ones. For a 5' your looking at $500 and up.
  6. yard sloth

yard sloth LawnSite Member

is a bush hog the mower that hooks up behind a farm tractor?
  7. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

It sure is.
  8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I just bought a new Rhino, SE6 for $1250.00. It is a 6" model, and very well built. The SE is their medium-duty line, as I would call it. They do have a heavier series, but I don't need to shred trees or real thick brush.
    Those cheap priced machines will begin to self destruct after just a short time. Stick with one of the major name brands like Bush Hog, Rhino, Modern, or Woods.
  9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

"Bushhog" brand has one called the "Bull". The gearbox looks like it would knock down 6" in diameter saplings. Bushogging is kind of up and down in demand for me or I would buy it. If I get a huge job that is steady, I will definitely buy a 6 foot Bull :)
  10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Brown (same guys who make the Bed edger trench master) makes one that will cut 5 inch trees.