Brush Mower vs. Small Bush Hog

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Grass Guy, Aug 23, 2007.

1. The Grass Guy

The Grass Guy LawnSite Member

Was considering getting something for these knee high to waist high yards everyone thinks can be cut with a mower. What does everyone use ? Was considering like the Billy Goat Brush Mower or a small Tractor with a PTO driven Bush Hog. I think theres like 400 bucks between the big Billy Goat and like a 1500 Yamar with a 4 foot bush hog.Was thinking the tractor could be used for much more with the PTO.

2. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

That billy goat thing looks like cheap junk. Even though I am not a big fan of yanmar tractors, the engines are good, and I would rather have one of those than that billy goat thing.

3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have used the Billy Goat. It isn't cheap junk. It is built right and does a good job on what it was intended for.
    That being said: I would get the tractor and brush hog if it is only $400 more.

4. KTO Enterprises

I just cant see anything with a belt drive system being able to cut what they advertise it to be able to do. 1 1/2 material? My medium duty john deere bushhog is only rated for 2 inch stuff. Tall grass and weeds yes, 1.5 inch oak trees, no way.

5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

It will cut SOME 1.5 inch material. But not everything. It does good for what I have used one for. Of course I did try to cut down a small oak with it and broke the blade bolt!!! Whoops!! It was a rental.

6. KTO Enterprises

I can see pine and wax myrtles coming down by it. Ive taken down 4inch pines before. They cut like paper.

7. The Grass Guy

The Grass Guy LawnSite Member

I guess what Im asking is what do you guys use on over grown yards that are knee to thigh high.I have had to pass on three this year that would have been good money makers. most were in the area of 3/4 - 1.5 acres