Brush Mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Columbia Turf, Jun 4, 2001.

1. Columbia Turf

Columbia Turf LawnSite Member

I am looking to purchase a new brush mower to mow pasture and right-of-way. I currently have a Great Bend lift type 6 1/2 footer. Does anybody else who does brush mowing along with turf maint. have strong opinions about the new MX series from John Deere vs Bush Hog brand. Also lift type compared to pull or semi mount?

It is hard to compare when all you know is what you are used to. The finish mowing is easy, EXMARK all the way.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

2. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure whats available in the US but here I use a 5' superior slasher behind a 50hp tractor.It runs a 400hp rated gearbox with a 3"
    diameter output shaft. I would go for the model with the highest rated
    gearbox. My slasher weighs in at app.950 lb. Whole rig weighs 6400lb.
    Go with the heaviest setup you can get. Look for a blade speed of around 15000 feet per minute. Gearbox ratio of 1:1.66 is good. Go too high and you'll start sapping power.(1:1.9 for example).
    Hope this helps.
    :)

3. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

A couple of other brands to check out is Woods and BMB. We currently are using Woods, they are built quite well. I've looked at the JDs and seem to be very Heavy Duty.

4. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

If it's really high, thick stuff I just use a 72" Bush Hog behind my 60 HP International and can't help you, but if you don't let it get too tall, over about one foot, I've been using a Woods 7200 6'field mower for the past two years. It has three rotary blades, rear discharge and leaves a very nice finish for fields and pastures. I can pull it behind my MF 35HP compact tractor no problem. I used it on some wet 3 foot tall stuff the other day and had to go over it twice. This model comes in a 8400, 7' size also. Good luck, Will M>

5. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

take a look at Rhino there great brush mowers

6. Hardy Enterprises

Hardy Enterprises LawnSite Member

I have a Land Pride 15' batwing that I use to mow right-of-ways. I have been well pleased with it. It has a great cut and seems to be holding up well. The only thing is I would recommend getting chain guards instead of the conveyor belt type rubber guards. I have not tore up my rubber guards yet but I feel like the chain guard will end up being a better investment in the long run.

Jay

7. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

I mowed for a VERY large horse farm for 12 years and all we ever used was Hardee or Bush Hog decks ranging from 6 to 15 foot decks. I f I was In the market for a deck I would go with a 6 ft H ardee rear discharge deck. They take a beating and still give a very nice cut while lasting a long time. As for tractors JOHN DEERE or KUBOTA all the way . Just my 2 cents worth

8. Columbia Turf

Columbia Turf LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for the input. I never thought of WOODS and have never heard of RHINO but will check it out.

SOUTHSIDE, the johndeere mx7 i am looking at has a tip speed of 17477 according to the lit. The BUSH HOG brand is slower. I would really like to go to a dual gearbox counter rotating blades to get rid of that "tire track" that is left when in thick wet grass. I have been very inefficiant using only 5 foot of a 6 1/2 foot mower.

JUSMOWIN, I agree KUBOTA I am on my second one. I had some transmission problems with my first but traded for a hydro last year. The hydro takes away a couple hp, but it is worth it.

9. hebron

hebron LawnSite Member

For what it's worth..... I have been doing field and brush mowing for the past 17 years. All kinds of junk. High weeds, small trees, trash, tires, logs, you name it, it is hidden is the vacant lots and fields. Nothing has held up as well as the Woods R105 mower. Because I trailer my rig all over the county, the 5 foot deck has been an advantage over a larger width. I have cut thru fields where it was necessary to stand up on the tractor to see over the vegetation with this mower behinf my Deutz 40hp. For all the junk I have hit with these mowers, I have yet to break a gearbox. (how about spliting basketball size rocks?!!) The Woods blade mounting system has also been much more trouble free than the standard nut/bolt used by everyone else.

They are expensive, but worth it.

Good luck.