1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Brush Trimmer That Fits The Job

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Neal0301, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Neal0301

Neal0301 LawnSite Member

Im looking to get a heavy duty trimmer for an account i just picked up. The only problem is i dont know what exactly is best for the job. Im thinkin about a Stihl KM 90 R Kombimotor with either the FS grass blade or the FH Power Scythe 135 degree adjustable attachment. I have thick brush to cut that i can only cut with a trimmer, its just too steep for a brush mower to handle and wouldnt want to risk it sliding into the pond.

Thanks in advance for your replys and thoughts.

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

How thick is the stalks of the brush? You might be able to get by with a brush blade or you might need a saw blade...pics would help.
  3. Neal0301

Neal0301 LawnSite Member

Well what i did was just go ahead and buy the Stihl FS90. What i figured is that im not going to use the other attachments that the KM 90 R has to offer. All i need is the different blades that the FS90 can utilize.

As for the thickness of the brush it is basically long grass with the ocasionaly thick weeds and small saplings. To deal with the larger saplings and smaller trees i picked up a blade that can handle that.

I guess i answered my own question HAHA
  4. Fairway Land & Lawn

Fairway Land & Lawn LawnSite Member

Should have gotten an FS250 with handle bars and a saw blade. :weightlifter: That is what I use around ponds and in ditches when the stalks are large. If the stalks are not large I just swap the gear head use regular line...Plenty of power, and have never bogged it down....well not yet.
  5. Neal0301

Neal0301 LawnSite Member

Well being a new and small business and only 16 i don't have too much money :cry:to put forth. It helps that i work another job and that i just got my check from there today and i paid off half the FS90 in the first day. payup

What i did was get the FS90 with the handle bars and purchased a grass blade and when time comes that i need to clear out the small trees i will get a saw blade.

I used it today to do one of residential accounts and i loved it. Lots of power for trimming and most of the time i only use half to 3/4 throttle just because of the power. Its a little different with the handles but i got used to it quickly. I cant wait to start destroying the thick stuff.:gunsfirin
  6. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

preeetty nice tool, ehh. got almost same thing (fs110), picked up couple wks. ago and made short work of job got it for. got to clear out huge are to extend yd and seeded.