1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Brushhogging 26 acres

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by djlawn, Mar 4, 2005.

1. djlawn

djlawn LawnSite Member

I am working on a quote for brushhogging a property. The property is approx. 26 acres. I am using a Kubota L3010 tractor with a 5' mower. Does anybody have any idea how long this should take? Also what should I be charging. I figured about $800.00
  2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Well using a Kubota 4310 with a 84" Brushbull you can do 7-8 acres per hr.

I would say your production might be 4-5 per hr. maybe less if the PTO HP is only 25 hp. I would charge at least 1170.00 that only 45 per acre.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

31 bucks a acre, hourly quotes are 45 to 90 an acre depends how wide you cut.if you cut 5 acres a hour you are making 155 bucks.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

How tall is it now? How often will it be done? Is the ground flat and open?
    It took me 11 hours to do my new prop recently and it was higher than the tractor. Well, I only cut about 16 or so acres of it.
  5. Indydirtfarmer

Indydirtfarmer LawnSite Member

To mow 7 to 8 acres per hour with an 84" mower, you would have to be moving at between 11 or 12 MPH. NOT possible....First off, that would take a tractor OVER 100 HP, and it would be a rodeo ride at the very least. :rolleyes:

I've been doing commercial bush hogging for nearly 30 years. I use a 60HP tractor and (just by coincedence) a Woods BB840 mower. The best REASONABLE speed would be about 5 mph, and that would see (under IDEAL conditions) about 4 acres per hour. :D

A 5' mower, moving at 5 MPH should mow about 2 and 3/4 acres per hour. (at that same IDEAL condition) :dizzy:

You're looking at 11 to 15 hours. BTDT.... A LOT of acres worth.... :waving:
  6. Indydirtfarmer

The going rate in this area WAS $16 to 20 an acre for larger tracts last year. The price has gone up this year. ($24) I routinely mow tracts of that approximate size for $400 to $500, depending on conditions. I'm insured, legal, and doing quite well for myself. Like I said, been doing this for about 30 years. You MIGHT find one sucker a year that'll pay those ridiculous prices, but I wouldn't dare price work that high if you actually plan on GETTING more work.
  7. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

The guys that doe it here are way cheap-$25 per hour.
  8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Depends on the type, of the weeds and brush, Some grow a lot thicker and slows you way down, and if its mostly brush that will effect speed, anywhere from 8 hrs up to ????

9. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

I have 8 acres of pasture that I bushhog. Normally takes me about 30 minutes per acre with a 5" bushog. 30 minutes time 26 acs. is 13 hrs. I charge $75.00 per hour for bushhogging with a 2 hour minimum. My price would be $975.00
  10. Indydirtfarmer

I need $60 an hour MINIMUM.... This years rates are $75 for the first 2 hours, then $60 each there-after. There's a couple guys around here that have old tractors, and OLDER mowers. They'll do some mowing for $30+ an hour, but the real estate companies I work for won't touch 'em... No insurance for one thing... ;)

I do quite a few horse pastures too. Being in Kentucky, there's all that business I want. They want clean cut, almost finish mower quality work. That means slowing down a bit AND keeping a sharp set of blades handy for one of my mowers. :cool:

Even the "legal" mowing contractors around here can't get $30 an acre. Market just won't support that. payup

Last year, at last seasons fuel cost, I was making good money at $16 an acre on bigger tracts (over 25 acres) I have one tractor that's 130 HP, and a 15' batwing for bigger stuff. In order to make my "rates" with that rig, I need 50 acres plus. Hauling it is costly. :dizzy:

I just laugh when I here people saying they can bush hog 8 acres an hour with a 7' mower, or make $200/$300 an hour. I've been at this long enough to know B.S. when I hear it. :rolleyes: