Brussels Outdoor Kitchen Help

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by JohnnyRoyale, Jun 24, 2008.

1. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone built an outdoor kitchen from Unilock Brussells dimensional? I know they have the new MODS product, but they arent quite the size I'm after. I am proposing one custom built for a new project and called Unilock and they dont seem to have an answer as to if it should be filled with clear stone, or if they even have a cross section diagram of one. This area would house a grill and possibly a mini fridge as well as a sink. I'm thinking of framing the unit, then building around it, but is this even necessary? Your help would be appreciated.

2. greenguy08

greenguy08 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Framing and building around for Brussels? With that size of wallstone, you should definitely want to forget the framing. Unilock can't help you with this? My paver rep from Unilock is awesome and would happily come onsite with me to help assess the project. Typically you would build as for a seating wall, building around your grill or whatever, and leaving room for your granite or other type of countertop, unless the brussels will be the countertop, which some people like.

3. Ajax

Ajax LawnSite Member

4. JohnnyRoyale

I wasnt planning on framing anything other than to accomodate the countertop if the client didnt want to go with granite, I would use a fullnose coping and infill with random brussels pavers. The question is, should the counter area be framed to accomodate pavers over marine grade plywood, or fill the entire kitchen up with 3/4 crusher run, or HPB, and lay the top just like anything else?

5. JohnnyRoyale

I fugured there had to be another company behind the scenes. Whats the agreement between Unilock and Harmony? Do we have to go through Unilock or could we go directly to Harmony?

6. Ajax

Ajax LawnSite Member

We are exclusive to Unilock in their territory. What's your honest assessment of the products?

7. JohnnyRoyale

In all honesty, I like the modular-ability of it, and once toyed with the same concept, but never followed through. The idea of prebuilding in a controlled environment and simply installing on site is great. I could see site access being a problem in some, if not most cases. I think the product looks nice. A little pricey, but it has its market I guess. Being branded with Unilock I'm sure will get exposure. What has your response been thus far?

8. Ajax

Ajax LawnSite Member

Access and price have been two of the top concerns with our product. We have talked to crane companies about installation. It's done for fiberglass pools, so why not modular grill islands etc? As far as price goes, We introduced a lot of new products to appeal to all different price points. Hopefully that will help. We used to be contractors, so we know what it's like out there.

9. JohnnyRoyale

Everything has its place in the market. We use cranes for fiberglass pools all the time. It can get real pricey some times. Now if it the units came broken down a little more, maybe layers, some obstacles could be overcome but other challenges would surface I'm sure.