1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Btter Business Bureau

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by ClippersLC, Jul 29, 2005.

1. ClippersLC

ClippersLC LawnSite Member

A lady that from the better business bereau, just called me and asked if she could have stop by and ask me a few questions about my business. She said she got my card from a customer who was extremely pleased with the servies that i provisded. Well she gets here and has a few forms that she gives me along with a card, and asked me to fill out a simple form(name, business name, address, years in business, what services that i provide, thats about it) Well she was here and we sat in my office for about 30 minutes talking and filling out a few forms and going over stuff, basically she said all they do is keep track of complaints about business's. then she asked if I wanted to become a memeber of the BBB, I told her at the moment i didnt, and I'll tell you why. It costs $300+ a year to be a memeber. Is this worth the money? next I'm looking for the IRS to start knocking on my door wanting detailed business reports. What do you guys think? :dizzy: payup
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It's meaningless and worthless. It's just a sales call. I get this call every year from them. In the first place, let me ask you this.....How many times, when you've hired a service or went to a business, have you called the BBB and inquired about them? How many times have you looked at a list to see if these businesses were on it? Now, go out and ask EVERYONE you know the same thing........
    It's kind of like the Chamber of Commerce things,...but atleast with them, you get certain discounts and things on stuff.
  3. JRAZ

JRAZ LawnSite Member
    from NW

The BBB is a sham organization. I am actually a member, so stupid of me. I thought I would try it for one year, now regret I gave them any of my money. We paid 495.00 for one year membership and I get nothing in return except a plaque. I was not even able to use there logo on my website b/c I am not part of their "online" program for an extra couple hundred/month. BBB is here for money, they will basically let anyone be a member, and anything you want from them other than a plaque will cost you a good chunk of extra cheese. I will never be a member again.

4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>
    Hi ClippersLC,

I think there are probably better places to spend your marketing and advertising dollar. Not many LCOs here have made favorable posts about the BBB.

<table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates. Free Invoice Background Template Graphics.</center>
  5. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I have had several people call and ask if I was a member of the BBB. I am not so I told them "No." As far as I can recall, they all still signed up.
  6. OrganicBob

OrganicBob LawnSite Member

I couldn't agree with these guys more. The BBB is a bunch of horse @#%$!!!
    It is just a place for people to complain to anyway. Nobody contacts them about finding good businesses in their area, only to complain about bad ones. Don't be discouraged if one day you get a complaint. I'm sure you wouldn't be the first hard worker that pissed off somebody. I'd invest my money elsewhere.
  7. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

I also agree. There is little to no benefit to joining. I tried it one year, spent $300 some odd $ and got one phone call that never even panned out. Although you do get a beautiful membership certificate :)
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Hell yah I am SO glad this forum and its members see the light, the BBB is an LLC so it is nothing more important than my company (also an llc). If you DON'T pay, they simply have no records on file and MIGHT file a complaint if someone cares to send one in and if you DO pay OH then of course you'll be a member in good standing but, who cares, who calls?

Now they used to call me once/year too but what pizzed me off is they were using the telephone number that was printed in the AD in the newspaper for which I PAID and that really ticked me, I HATE salespeople calling me for their quatsch off of my PAID advertising. That having been said, I receive a call here or there from some other ppls in the same manner but it's usually ONE call and that is all: The BBB liked to call me every *&%^ year and so about 4-6 years ago I told them NOT to call me again.
    Next year, they called again.
    I informed them one more time, don't do it. Oh yes sir (insert standard arse-kissing bs) and we remove you from list, lalala... Next year: RING
    This went on, year after year. Yes, I know it's only 1 call/year but that's not the point - My request is not being honored. I asked, pleaded, begged nicely, got rude, cursed, sent letters and emails, nothing worked - every year: RING!
    SAME GUY!! The bbb is out of Reston VA (same place as AOL / Time Warner - makes me wonder) and here I am in Richmond thinking about driving up there, images of tearing through their office with a baseball bat, smashing computers and making a *SCENE* to ensure NO more calls... But, no.
    I got so mad, instead I reported them both to the FCC and to the Federal Do-not-call-center since my number is registered there (500-dollar fine per violation) and I haven't heard from them since. Yeah, so I guess they don't even check the Do-not-call list. So as you see, my business has as much as theirs. We're both LLC's, and really, who cares?
    Life is agreeable now.

By the way, credit reporting agencies are LLC's as well...
    Unfortunately, although I could force them to remove my data, that would actually work against me AND they don't bother me with salescalls.