1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bubble under liner in waterfall

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by flascaper, Dec 6, 2007.

1. flascaper

flascaper LawnSite Member

I recieved a call to fix the liner in a waterfall,pond. 10 x 10 . They say its a bubble underneath the 2 ft water line. Should I just sclice it and repair it or do I need to replace the liner. Slicing it to remove the air pocket.
  2. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

"Ya know" I never dealt with those until I installed in southern Oregon !!

What's the deal down here anyway, geothermal gases - LOL.

I'm actually going to put a non-abrasive porous material in low spots from now on, and routed a rigid piece of tube from it, like the very firm type of drip tube 1/4" line to let the gas pass. Not the flimsy stuff.

It only takes a micro-tube to let the air out. But they are irritating, aren't they?

Can also be a good reason for a layer of porous sand base or something, although, that won't stay porous forever.
  3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Ask them if they have been loosing water recently, its probably under the liner. You either have a leak in the waterfall and the water is getting under the liner or some other source of water has pushed its way in

I'll bet that the bubble is from water and not air. Either way I would not cut the liner, it will be a point of failure in the future and absolute pain to seam/repair properly.

You may have to dig down beside the pond just too see what is going on.
  4. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Which may be a clue in itself, if that's the case. To bubble the liner, means the source pushing has to have more PSI - even if fractionary.

That means water accumulation from an elevation above the pond or water feature level.
  5. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

what was the outcome with the pond?
    Air, Water, UFO's?
  6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with what Bill said here. That's pretty much exactly what I was going to say. I don't think it's air. And I wouldn't ever cut pond liner inside of a water feature, even though it isn't that difficult to repair.

I'd figure out why the bubble is there. It's a little odd. So I would guess there's a reason for this anomaly. I've never seen that happen before (large air bubble form under pond liner) and I've installed dozens of them and worked on dozens of them. So in my experience, something like this is rare, at the very least. So it makes me think either it's water under there (which may mean you have a leak elsewhere) or if it really is air, just cutting to allow the air to escape and re-sealing will probably only be a temporary fix. What are you going to do in 3 or 6 months when another bubble comes? Do it again?

There's something wrong there that needs to be fixed, not just bandaged. Unfortunately, for the customer, that means taking apart that whole area, figuring out the problem, and rebuilding. Which is just a time & materials thing.

I bet when you dig it up you'll find that the installers didn't use any pond underlayment fabric either.