1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bubblers for tree zones

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CAPT Stream Rotar, Apr 22, 2008.

1. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

What brands do you all get into?

Today we did an estimate for a rather large property, 15 zones of turf 6 easy of drip, 1 garden and a bubbler tree zone...

Now I hate using bubbler's, but this guy won't budge an ounce on it..I prefer to do it in drip.

What do you all think.
  2. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

If I have straight trees in beds or in concrete planters, I definitely prefer to use bubblers. Use at least 2 per tree (gives you redundancy if one fails). You can get an awful lot of bubblers on a zone. I use Rainbird; you can get bubblers in .25, .5, 1 and 2 gpm. Find out what your trees need and use accordingly.

Do NOT put bubbler right at the root ball of evergreens; you will rot out the root ball. Evergreens are designed to get water from the edges of their branches, so move the bubblers out to that point. Deciduous trees get water from all over, so rule of thumb that I use is to place the bubblers about half way between trunk and edge of the tree's canopy.

Use more bubblers for larger trees as well. 3 or 4 on very large trees to give an even saturation if needed.
  3. We like those adjustable irritrols.
  4. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

RB makes adjustable ones as well, but I've never figured out how to KNOW how much water they're putting out. Are the Irritrols any better for that?
  5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Four poster spray zones spotted at the projected drip line of the tree.
    Bubblers have very poor uniform application for trees. Now, if your talkin'
    shrubblers, that's another high-end application!
  6. No............ I think your way is better now that I think about it. Just allows for one type and we adjust them manually to our best case scenario.
  7. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

The Rainbird pre set ones are very good. We have high salt and calcium in our water and all the adjustable ones get clogged over time and have to be closed and opened to flush clean. Besides you would like to know about how much water you are putting down I think. One thing I have learned is doing retro work going from bubblers to drip is very traumatic on the trees and many don't survive at least here in the desert. Could be because most trees on bubblers here are Citrus which like to flood then dry up.
  8. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

we're doing one now w/ hunter 4" popups and the qtr circle "stream bubblers" up and down both sides of a drive "reforestation." drip? what is this drip you speak of?
  9. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

the only drip worth speaking about..

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Not hardly. Customer budget permitting, the Rainbird line of discrete emitters works fine, and you can actually verify the operation of the emitters.