Bucket test

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by duckworth, Jul 5, 2012.

1. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Keeping within the 5 fps rule 1" sched 40 = 12 gpm. Cl 200 = 16 gpm. Cl 160 = 16 gpm. A 5/8" meter delivers 15 gpm.

Unless you are using class for supply i am seeing the supply line as the bottle neck.

This is why we see a lot of 1.25 sched 40 used for supply from the meters in tracts i guess.

I am interested in your equation though. I called Pollard Water concerning this same issue without results.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I gave up looking for the book... so I ordered another one. I will post up the equation when it gets in.

Here is a link to the manual:

http://www.isstx.com/manualpurchase.asp

I took my licensing class from this guy, he is a bit out of the box but he was a great teacher. He had run his own company for a good while, and was a 2nd generation irrigator. The only thing I do not like is that he is pushing to make irrigation available in trade classes in highschool, that is the last thing we need right now. I can see a flood of 18yr. old irrigators running out into the world. He wrote the book, so putting it into highschool classes is a bit self serving.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  3. txirrigation

from Texas

To answer your question, as a company rule we stop at 12gpm on 5/8 meters. This is to account for pressure drop as more homes are built, give more pressure to the house when the system is running, and a host of other reasons. Most tract homes do have 1.25-2" supply lines.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I still see 3/4-inch copper - I have also seen 5/8-inch and 1/2-inch copper supply lines :(

5. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen 5/8 meters push over 20gpm. 12gpm is a good number on average
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

I was referred to a locating guru a week or so back that was so self envolved and self serving that he couldn't answer my questions without tovting his prodvcts and his past ~triumphs~ over other locators in clinical situations. He lost me when his answer to any question was to pour more water on the ground stake.

i don't usually have issues with arrogant people if the arrogance is deserved but every word from this guys mouth was self promotional. I figure if yovr horn needs tooted, some one will toot it, no need doing it yourself. He never answered my question either.
    Posted via Mobile Deviceyou're prolly right about the trade class

7. txirrigation

from Texas

I have seen it too, but your only supposed to use 80% of the max design flow through the meter, which for a 5/8 is 15gpm.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

an old-style 5/8 meter (not the modern 5/8~3/4 ones) pushing 20 gpm spins like a top