1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

bucket tractor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Four Season's, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Four Season's

Four Season's LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Do any of you guys own Kubota Tractors? I am looking into geting a smaller unit (BX1500) with a bucket and rototiller. Can you give me your opinions / experiences with Kubota tractors.

I would be using mine mainly for loading loam and mulch and making lawns.
  2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Hi Four Season's..

I have a BX1500 that I purchased about a year ago. I bought it specifically for aerating. This year I purchased a loader to move mulch around on larger jobs. I love it and have had no problems.

The 15 hp is adequate for what I need it to do, which is about 40-50 aerations and maybe a dozen mulch jobs per year. If you think you will be working it harder than that.. you may want to look at a 18-22 hp.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
  3. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

We bought a B2910 3 years ago, it is only used for snowblowing and moving firewood and a few little jobs like that around the cottage. There is only about 100 hours on it but so far it has had no problems at all. The only complaint I have is it feels top heavy when the bucket has a bit of weight in it. We had the rear tires filled with calcuim but if the ground is slightly tilted you get the sensation of tipping over. I don't think it will tip it is just an uncomfortable feeling. Maybe all tractors are like this, I've never driven any one other than this but my skid-steer didn't feel like this.

4. Four Season's

Four Season's LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Ray- I know exactly what youre talking about. I've used one of my customers John Deere tractors with a bucket & I had that same feeling that it was going to tip over.
  5. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Kubotas are excellent machines but keep in mind that the BX1500 is very small and it will struggle to load anything taller than a pickup truck.
  6. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

Yes keep in mind all tractors are tippy, I have a John Deere 850 when using the loader the rear tires even with the calcium will lift off the ground I like to have an impliment on the hitch for extra stability..... Good Luck
  7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a Kubota 4350. We use it for mowing the local school district in the summer time and plowing in the winter. Around my local area, it's the tractor of choice for plowing. The only concern that I've heard about, not had myself, is that the control arm wants to freeze up for the loader. We all run the same tractor, give or take 2-3 horsepower and the same loader. So, I've got 600 hours on mine, new in Jan. of 03 and have had no problems yet, except the back window on the cab shattered one time when we shut it.