1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bucking bronco

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Hizoot, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Hizoot

Hizoot LawnSite Member

Hi guys. I bought a new exmark 20hp , 48" HP last week. I have 8 hours on it total and I changed the oil and filter at 4.7 hrs. I love it...except it has started running wierd. The left side drive is very jerky when I try going slow, turning around or mowing close to trees , etc. I was thinking that it could just be me, since this is the first ztr I've owned. But I dont remember the demo unit doing this, and its just the left side. This afternoon, it started doing it real bad..I let go of the left handle and it just kept jerking forward with the handle oscillating along with it. I checked the hydraulic fluid, and it was a little low 1/2" below the cold level(before starting it) . I put in Mobil 1 15-50 wt to the proper level, hoping this was the problem (getting air bubbles or something) , but it didnt help. I guess I just need to take it to the dealer, but was hoping for some input from ya'll.
    BTW: Since there is no way to change the oil without making a mess (very poor design IMO) I'm wondering if some oil may have gotten on a belt. I mention this just to help troubleshoot. I wouldnt think it would affect the hydraulics...but I gotta lot to learn on this thing. Thanks for any input!
  2. Hizoot

Hizoot LawnSite Member

Nevermind...I found the shock on the arm lever had come loose.
  3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like one of your steering dampeners has failed. Take it to the dealer and get it replaced. It's not a big deal unleass you really hammer the steering lever then you could take out a wheel motor.

4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

shouldn't be an oil on the belt issue as the same belt drives both pumps. almost sounds like one of the control dampners is bad (shouldn't be at 5 hours though). i'd have the dealer eye everything one good time and let you try the demo again while they are looking at it. these things can be fun to try and learn to use but second nature when you get the hang of it.
  5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Thanks and I apologize. Please take the unit back to the dealer and have the correct bolt installed. We've had a few issues with loose fasteners here on LS in the past couple of weeks that we're not accustom to hearing. That bolt should not have come loose and it is our responsibility to replace it properly on your machine.

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience.