Buckthron

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Rock&Snow, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Rock&Snow

Rock&Snow LawnSite Member

:waving: I'm new and just started and having a blast. My first job is cleaning up some woods that is packed with buck thorn, which the owner wants removed and hauled away. What is the best way to get rid of buck thorn and do you need to pull the roots out and everything or just start chopping.payup

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

buckthorn is very labor intensive to remove. just cutting it down will result in vigorous resprouting if no other control measures are implemented. you need to do some research online to see what you are getting into, before taking this job.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Roots and all need to come out, a good long tooth root ripper on the front of a tractor or skid works well to push them up and get under the roots to pop them out. After that you will need to spray for any reamaining that will pop up, unless your planting grass. The grass will smother most of what would sprout and the constant mowing will kill the rest.

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Seeds can lay dormant in the soil for up to 6 years. The BMP has yet to be deterimined I believe.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

welcome to the site by the way

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

What's buck thorn...is that anything like multifloral rose? That stuff is nasty to say the least btw.

7. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

9. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

Your welcome.:)

10. Rock&Snow

Rock&Snow LawnSite Member

:drinkup: Thanks a lot for all of the info. It is really nice to have a site like this especially when you are first starting.