Bucyrus-Erie 300h excavator????

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by wmtom, Feb 28, 2007.

1. wmtom

wmtom LawnSite Member

I saw a Bucyrus-Erie 300h excavator the other day for sale. Just wondering if any one knows anything about them. I know it's a 48,000 lb machine year is 1990 and I think it has a Detroit engine. That's about all I know about them. Are they good machines, can you get parts for them. Any info would be great.

Thanks
    Mike Thomas

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

A antique I would stay away from it unless you have some acreage you want to work on run the machine till it dies and sell it for scrap.

3. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

I had a BeSorry-Erie,just one time.My first excavator in fact.Machine was great until parts time came! Of course the saleman told me no! problem when i bought it.One of the first questions i asked, can you get parts.Reply NO PROBLEM !!!!!!!!

It was made in England(metric). Parts wasn't a problem they just had to ship them here from England.Part $90 shipping $50 and 4 weeks later.Needless to say i couldn't get rid of it fast enough.I learned my lesson early,thats why i stick to name brands.

I know Bucyrus-Erie back then was a name brand ,but in draglines,not excavators.They was trying to get into them at that time.It would have been around 1980 something?????? How time flys when you having fun:dancing:

The shame of it all,is that it was a nice machine,hydraulics had lots of power, very smooth,it had the air cooled deutz engine.Run for days on a tank of fuel.Well,thats my story and i'm sticking to it.:walking:

4. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you been around awhile.
    Mike

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I caught the story about Bucyrus-Erie on Discovery. It was pretty interesting. They ruled the roost until someone changed the rules. There is a message in all of that. A company needs to continue look for the next big opportunity. Stay in one spot and you get left. Hydraulics came on to the scene And B-E continued with cables. When they started to transition it was too late. They went from hero to zero in short order.