Buffalo compost

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Barefoot James, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

I have a great source for free buffalo castings - LOL. All organic buffalo. No additives to their feed stock nothing.

Anyone have some good receipes for buffalo compost of techniques??

Would this make a good compost?

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I think a green waste compost + manure compost makes an excellent all around compost.

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Sounds like good stuff

4. Barefoot James

What about the buffalo part. Similar to a horse or cow. Is horse poo better than cow poo or about the same?

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i gots the pooooo on me

6. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

buffalo chips are a bit more spicy

7. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Horse manure is second only to chicken or rabbit manure for N.

Bovine (buffalo) has manure that can still feed pigs from the gutter. The end result depends on what the critter ate.

Iron in = Iron out. So to speak.
    Mg in = mg out. ... etc.

8. Barefoot James

Welcome to the thread Adam Sandler - LOL - great movie.

When you say spicy what does that mean - nutrient wise? If it is old stuff would it have even more salts in it than horse poo?

In terms of diet these buffalo just eat field fescues. clover and alfalfa.

What would that poo be like for composting?

9. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sorry to mislead you. I was joking, as in spiced up like buffalo wings. I didn't mean to disrespect your thread at all.
    I wish I had a source like you do....I'd love to try some out. Would it be possible to have some tested by a lab?

I will have to check to see if the caretakers of a herd in the region have a program to dispense their bison's waste.

10. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson LawnSite Senior Member

James,

I'm not sure if the buffalo digestive system is the same as a cow or not but believe it is similar. My neighbor says they are both bovines so their manure is likely similar. Therefore the buffalo manure is likely quite hot (N).

In compost, manure is treated like the N factor and you wish to constitute your beginning ratio of Carbon (C) at a range of C:N = 25:1 to 40:1. The amounts of ingredients to make this up will depend on the moisture content, freshness, etc. of your ingredients. If your mix is off too much you can end up locking up the N (because the microbes will consume C instead). There are compost calculators on the internet which can assist with this ratio(there may be a resource in Teaming with Microbes). A good resource is Rodale Institute.

Basically, you want to mix up your manure with some carbon sources like sawdust, brown leaves, straw, etc. Make sure it heats in the center, turn it and so on AND/OR feed your mix to worms.

Did you get the parcel yet?

Tim