buffalo grass/ sand

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by jocky boy, Feb 22, 2008.

1. jocky boy

jocky boy LawnSite Member

Hi all

well i now have moved to western austraila and i have bought a new house with no lawn just sand can you rollor, lay buffallo grass on sand is there anything else i have to do.

thanks john:)

2. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Mix some (a lot) organic matter into the sand, level well and lay turf! Pretty easy stuff but because its sand, it will need a lot of water so get as much organic in there as you can to help retain moisture!

3. jocky boy

Cheers mate talking about organic matter what exactly do you mean what kind :confused:

pretty new to this so the more info the better

thanks john

4. Mickhippy

Go to your landscape supply yard and ask for garden mix(might be called something different over there though). Its got recycled human poo, fine wood chips and soil. A lot like potting mix except for the poo!

Just ask them for something to mix into the sand. They should know what your after!

You could even try and find some horse or cow poo to mix in I guess!

5. jocky boy

Thanks buddy no worry's i'll do that going to get turf in a week or so i'll let you know how i get on.

john*aussieflag*

6. Mickhippy

Good luck with it!

7. jocky boy

Hi again

it is stinkin hot here at the moment high 30s and sometimes hitting 40, 40.5 today' had a long spell of the sun 2 days of rain isince christmas longest spell of heat in 40 years they say

will it make any difference puttig the grass down burning e.t.c.

whats the best grass to use buffulo grass or any other kind

cheers
    john

8. Mickhippy

I would probably wait till it cools a little if I could. Being sand it will dry out fast enough without the extra heat. But if your desperate it should be ok, but it will need a lot of water.
    Use this time to prep the area! Got any pics?

Buffalo/Sir Walter is a pretty good turf but it is thirsty! What do your neighbours use? Does theres look any good?
    Palmetto is similar to Sir Walter and I hear good things about it! Ask your supplier about it!

Youve had a heat wave and we didnt get a summer. I think only a couple of days over 30deg where I am! Only maybe 2 weeks total of no rain since before xmas! I think we've only has 3 or 4 days with full sun!
    Been a struggle for us mowing guys!

9. jocky boy

tell me mate what is kooch grass is it any grass

john..

10. Mickhippy

Whats your email address?