Bug, bee or other?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by MowinChic, Sep 5, 2003.

1. MowinChic

MowinChic Banned

We have a new bug, or bee or whatever this is...invade our yard recently.

Could not see a stinger, and out of all of our flowers, it only lands on the plumbago. It seems to be gathering nectar or pollen from the flower.

Can anyone tell me what it is? I've never seen one in our area before...

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

If that picture is of it is hovering in flight,This may sound stupid but it just might be a humming bird.We have some that are about the size of a BIG carpenter bee.I've only ever seen one in the northern part of Pa.
  3. MowinChic

MowinChic Banned

At first, I thought it was a small hummingbird when it flew by. But upon closer inspection, it does have antennae, and it's fuzzy, like a bee.

I couldn't get a real clear picture, because it wouldn't land or sit still long enough to focus on it.

I figured it was a common bee, and everyone would think I was crazy asking what it was, but we just don't have these bugs here in the area.
  4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I saw the same thing in my area. I thought it was a hummingbird, but upon closer inspection saw it was a bug, not a bird. I have no idea what it was though. Keep us posted.
  5. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

It looks like some type of giant moth.
  6. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Go ahead and irritate it, If it stings you, IT'S a Bee.
  7. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

honey bee possibly?? I don't think they have stingers..
  8. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto MowinChic & KenH. Saw that thing once this year & had the same reaction. I have no idea either. It was hanging out on the butterfly bush with the rest of the gang of various bugs.
  9. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

It is a Hummingbird moth according to what I found on the Internet. Depending on the part of the country they can have different colors. They are even in the desert but have different colors than the one shown on this thread.

"Surprising Hummingbird Mimic

Hummingbirds do not have striped backs. They do not usually appear to be brown. They will not let you approach them to get a closer look. If you believe you saw a brown, striped hummingbird, you probably saw the perfect hummingbird look-a-like. Hummingbird moths have disappointed many people who believed that they were seeing their first hummingbird."
  10. GLAN

GLAN Banned