Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J Berry, Feb 13, 2001.

1. J Berry

J Berry LawnSite Member
    from nh

It still maybe a little early for this topic especialy
    here in the Northeast, but i'm just trying to cover as
    many things as I can before the season gets started.
    So being a rookie to all this I was wondering what everyone
    uses to keep the black flies and mosquitos as far away as possible.

Grass Tender's Lawn Service
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Never really had a problem with insects. I guess the trick is to just keep moving.
  3. Garry

Garry LawnSite Member

I've spent many years on the golf courses and lawns up here in the northeast. I've also spent many days being pestered by the same bugs you mentioned. I personally smoke, that, I've found to be the best solution, the only problem is, unless you chain smoke, the minute you stop, you have the bugs. Therefore, I've found that a light coating applied approximately every two hours of Deep Woods Off seems to keep the little critters at bay fairly well.
  4. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

You think you all have bugs. Come on down. I use the strongest repellent I can find and drench myself in it.(I'm sure it's real good for you too.LOL) Sometimes the flies still bite! Fire ants, you just have to live with. Thank God I'm not allergic to them.I know my wife is.She helped me on a Sunday once. That was her one and only time.Someone once told me to go to an army surplus store and buy pure deet and dilute it with water. I'll have to try that this year.