1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Build a lawn truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by weaver, Dec 29, 2012.

1. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm just wondering.. Has anyone here ever tried to build there own lawn truck? I only ask cause i saw some pics and got me to wondering. If a guy had a 3/4 ton truck could he take the bed off and lets say mount a utility trailer to the truck frame? Make a dovetail and be done with it? Any sugestions or what do you guys think? Here's a Yahoo image search i found under landscape truck bed..

http://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...=landscape+truck+bed&fr=yfp-t-701&fr2=piv-web

2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

3. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Ryan you beat me to it... a few years back someone on here did a few landscape bodies on some older trucks and they really turned out nice looking.

4. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

Yes, many folks on here have put a landscape bed on a 3/4 ton. I have thought about it for a nice city mowing rig.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Those are the threads I keep track of. Good stuff there. Hope your Merry Christmas, Kevin!

6. orlawncaresvc

orlawncaresvc LawnSite Senior Member

Click in link. We built our own. http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=CEsR57tumLU

7. lawnpropm

lawnpropm LawnSite Senior Member

There is a place in GA that makes mini landscape beds womack truck bodies I believe. Loom at some of their pics and get some ideas...womacktruckbody.com
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. dstifel

dstifel LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone know roughly what the price per foot the rectangular tubing they use on the above threads would cost? I have the opportunity to buy a cheap flatbed 2wd truck and after seeing these trucks i know i could weld a dovetail and put a gate on it fairly simply. I live in Iowa i know prices will probably vary but i cannot find a supplier anywhere around here atleast online. Thanks.

9. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

That also is what i'm now looking for. I started out thinking just remove the bed from a 3/4 ton and buy the angle and square tube and go from there, but have since found a 10 ft long flat bed that i think would be easier and cheeper just adding a dovetail than doing the whole thing from scratch..

10. dstifel

dstifel LawnSite Senior Member

Yea I think it will work a lot easier. I am confident in my welding skills won several title in high school with it but the place I always used to buy from is no more. Still hunting down prices
    Posted via Mobile Device