Build A Sealcoating Machine

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by bigdaddywuff, Jun 21, 2009.

1. bigdaddywuff

bigdaddywuff LawnSite Member

I am from Canada and am looking to build a sealcoating sprayer. I was hoping for some info and help. I want to run a gear pump setup not a trash pump setup. I was wondering if it is possible to use a 5-6.5hp motor without a reduction gear or could i use a pully system or what pump can i u get that can run at high rmps so that i dont need a reduction gear. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you can give me some insight on this setup please do.

2. blacktop

blacktop LawnSite Member
    from toronto

3. blacktop

blacktop LawnSite Member
    from toronto

Are you spraying Oil Base or Coal Tar Sealer? The type of sealer will effect what set up you will need.

4. bigdaddywuff

Oil based i will be spraying

5. blacktop

blacktop LawnSite Member
    from toronto

If you what to build one yourself you can, but I would buy one new or used. It will save you alot of head aches.

6. bigdaddywuff

is there a way you can use a pully system instead of reduction gear seatup and what kind of gear pump

7. blacktop

blacktop LawnSite Member
    from toronto

If you use an albany gear pump and a 5.5 hp motor the gear ratio is 6:1 or if you use a different gear pump find out the maximum hp for the pump and do the math the albany gear pump is 1 hp maximum. So a 6 inch pulley at the pump and an 1 inch pulley at motor, will give you a 6:1 ratio. 5.5 hp divided by 6 well give you 0.91 hp at the pump. I suggest you go with a gear reduction box on the motor the set up with pulleys might be to bulky. If you decide to go with the pulley system make sure you build a cage around the pally and belt because if your hose or hand get caught in there you can kiss them go bye. Again I suggest you go with a motor that has a gear reduction box on it.

Hope this helps.

8. bigdaddywuff

thanks will let you know how i make out

9. Hanoverfiste

Hanoverfiste LawnSite Member

let us know how you make out, and if you do build, post a picture or 2