Build your DREAM Z-Turn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescaretaker, Dec 3, 2004.

1. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

If you can take any z-turns on the market now and mix and match parts, what would you create?

For us:

The ground speed & handling of the Super Z
    The blade tip speed of the Dixie Chopper
    The 7 Iron Deck of John Deere ( best cut in the industry on Southern grass)
    The bagging abilities of the Walker
    The ride and suspension of the Ferris

Let's hear from you now and why....
  2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

A Dixie Chopper with 4 wheel independent suspension would be my dream ztr.
  3. KurtW

KurtW LawnSite Member

Low to the ground...Like a Go-Kart...Low center of gravity...Great for Slopes
    Wide Drive Wheels...No Ruts in soft ground...Better Traction...Does not Slide
    35 Inch Max Width..Any Gate Entry...
    20 HP Kohler..Strong...Dependable...Good on Gas
    This would be be best FIRST mower anyone could buy AND a keeper no matter what larger mower you went up to..the all around Z-Turn...
    just my 2cents...Kurt
  4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

It would look like this,

5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

No such thing as a dream Z - You guys can't handle steep side hills.
    Get a 4x4 JD 595 and have the maneuverability + all the hill side capabilities of a WB.
    Now you will have a dream mower -
  6. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

One thing I forgot to add to my dream ZTR.... all wheel drive. :blob3:
  7. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

One with air conditioining a good sound system with quiet interior. Low profile, wide back tires and since we're dreamin an engine that only used a quart of gas a day.
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Let me jump off your statement and say, there are a few Z's out there that can handle some wicked stuff, but VERY FEW. I don't think I've seen you post a single thing on here that I couldn't mow just fine with no personal worries or bad turf damage.

But all that aside, to me that ain't the point. Zero turn equipment in a nutshell just ain't all it's cracked up to be. In my mind the positives and negatives run in a dead heat race with each other. Two of those negatives I have already mentioned. Turf damage and hill use.

It's not so much that the "few" can't handle hills and it's not that you are always doing major turf damage with them. It's the fact that they are not predictable enough. Here and there, one of these situations will slip up and bite you in the arse!

Every time I think about the subject matter of this thread I consider going back... making the move back away from zero turn equipment again. Matter of fact I think about that alot and I have found a new product that I might be switching to. But it's not out yet and I'm staying "hush-hush" about it for now.

Anyways Brad, what does the 595 w/62" go for? Alone, what kind of mowing speeds can it handle???.... and what kind of productivity are we talking?

So in closing, my dream machine isn't even a Z

Click here for my idea of a Dream Machine
  9. Envy Lawn Service

.....Now, if my dream machine had to be a ZTR, this is what it would be.....

Take the eXmark Lazer Z frame w/suspension seat.
    Cut off front castors.
    Cut off engine deck and pump area, as well as wheel motors.
    Replace engine deck and pump area much lower in the frame.
    Mount it all as low as you can go and still cut @ 4.5-5"
    Mount V-Shaft engine with separate exhaust in each corner.
    Install large cc pumps
    Plumb out all fluid drains and make sure maintenance items are easy acess.
    Mount cockpit and power frame on a Ferris IS 4500Z power frame.

Ah heck.... what am I talking about here???? Just put my custom deck design under the IS 4500Z frame!!! Or heck an UltraCut would do too! But I would prefer is Briggs would just go ahead and mass produce the V-Shaft 35hp A/C Vanguard Big Block to mount on it!

= :cool2:
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Did you catch my post and questions? Or am I getting the silent treatment? If so, I guess it's warranted. I've given you are hard time enough. Atleast we do have some common ground and I just thought maybe we could discuss it a little. After all, it's not exactly a socially acceptable subect matter, open for discussion with most members here....