Build your own sulkey?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by boozoo, Apr 27, 2001.

1. boozoo

boozoo LawnSite Member

I took a look at the Bullrider and liked the "fixed" position, but it looked to me like I could improve on the design since I would never want to use it in the "trailering" position. Seems like it would be a WHOLE lot cheaper to have a welder buddy make one than to buy one. One problem: Where can I find castering wheels with bushings, like the ones on the Bullrider or the ones on my Grasshopper front mount deck? Anyone out there ever contemplate building your own?

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

This might be a good question to put in the new Welding and Fabricating Forum. ;)

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

At the Grasshopper dealer? I use Walker front wheels on my sit/stand homemade sulky for my Gravely 50".

4. boozoo

boozoo LawnSite Member

Yeah, but how much did they cost? After checking with my welder friend this morning, that seems to be the cost prohibitive area. The steel is about $25, but the tires and wheel assembly could easily run $200 - and then there is his labor! By the time we got through, it would be around the price of a new one. What did yours cost you to make, Richard?

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've got about $150.00 in it.

6. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

check out lowe's for the casters. I found a set at my local store. They wern't cheap. I can't remember how much they were.