1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Build your own trimmer rack?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BerksLawn, Jul 21, 2001.

1. BerksLawn

BerksLawn LawnSite Member

I am thinking of building a trimmer rack for our trailer. Nothing real complex just one weedeater on each side of the trailer. I was wondering if anyone has made one, and how has it worked out. Im alson thinking of building a holder for the backpack blower which should be easy. Im just tired of pulling the stuff out of the back of the truck so any ideas would be apreciated thanks
  2. Dennis

Dennis LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

I built my rack to hold 3 trimmers and lock all with one lock.
    mat. cost was around $20.00,
    If you want just to hold one trimmer will be very simple and cheap.
    Good Luck
  3. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

Just in my opinion, Would put both trimmers on the pasenger's side of your truck. On the pasenger's side you will always be on the safe side of the road when loading and unloading trimmers. Racks should be easy to make. I see homemade racks all the time.
  4. scottt

scottt LawnSite Senior Member

I made trimmer racks for my trailer. I started writing how I did it but it was too confusing to understand. It is not hard as long as you have a welder and a plasma torch helps alot. It didn't even cost me a thing because I know a welder and just used his scraps. Just make sure to think of a way to lock it, but still be easy to get your equipment out of.
  5. BerksLawn

BerksLawn LawnSite Member

We have a welder that my dad hasnt opened it yet for like 2 years. I have nothin better to do since im getting like 10hrs a week wit my dad. Has anyone mad a wooden one? if seen them around. It really wont matter wat side its on because u could always walk up the ramp to get it off, and are trailer has 2ft sides (i think), so it should be pretty easy.
  6. slabpile

slabpile LawnSite Member

very easy. two 1" square tubing with some flat bar welded on it as fingers and a hole drilled through the ends to put a lock through

got the idea?
  7. accentlc

accentlc LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I built mine, holds trimmer and stick edger, out of some versa angle (has all the predrilled holes in it). I found a bunch at a scrap yard for 16 cents a lb. No welding. I just cut some short pieces with a cut off blade on my power miter saw. Works really well.
  8. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I built my own!
    Two pieces of angle and brackets to hold two trimmers. I went to Northern Tool, they sell brackets shaped like [ , made for trailer springs. The deep ones worked perfectly for the trimmers to fit into. I then dropped a pin down thru the holes to hold the trimmers in. A small pad lock or a clip holds the pins in. You can also buy small cable and fastners to make your own lanyard cables to hold the pins to the trailer.
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I have my Trimmer Trap on the drivers side of the trailer. I can get out of the truck and go right to the trimmers, don't have to step over the tounge, etc. The street safety thing really doesn't apply to me. If I'm on a street that busy, I would be better backed into their driveway. Mostly development streets around here. Anyway, another positive thing about drivers side is that overgrown roadside tree branches will not reach out and grab the trimmers. My friend of mine had it on passenger side and lost quite a few air cleaner caps and once even the whole carb! Then I mentioned Drivers side....he scratched his head. The next time I saw him, he re-mounted it!

Just my opinion.
  10. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I've thought about moving mine to the drivers side also, but haven't decided yet. I've seen them mounted on the front end at the toungue, but I don't think that would work out very well.