1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

builders level

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by KCL, Dec 6, 2007.

1. KCL

KCL LawnSite Member

Do any of you have any brand of builders level that you like to use?
  2. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

I like the cheap ones where the bubble's always in the middle no matter how you hold it.
  3. E LAND  Inc.

E LAND Inc. LawnSite Member

No kiddn', KCL your from Yorkville. Im from Seneca, just west of Morris.
    Anyway, as far as brands go, dont know too much about them. If had any
    advice though go with one that has a tight seal where the bubble is. Im
    currently using a 4' level past on from my dad. Thing must be 20-30 years
    old, sometimes in humid or cold weather the plastic or glass can fog up
    and its hard to read the level. Thats all I got, hope it helps
  4. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

I buy whatever they have in the mid range nothing too cheap but nothing expensive. We currently use Kapro they are nicely built and have a soft case.
  5. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

:laugh:I would suggest berger they make a great level for a good price ,top-con is good ,but a lot more expensive.you should be able to find a package for 3to500,i would spring for the dome head though.
  6. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

sorry thought it was sight levels,my bad.
  7. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

Laser levels are something we're just trying out, we picked up a Dewalt one that you have to level, and it seems to work really nice, but up until two months ago, we used the old stringline method. I figure if they could build the Empire State building with it, it can't be all bad. Do you find laser levels better than stringlines on a small wall or patio run (less than 30')?
  8. tcalb2

tcalb2 LawnSite Member

I would recomend looking into a lazer level. I know there very costly. I purchased mine for 900.00. I've worked with builders levels in the past. After working with a quality lazer level you'll never go back to a builders level again. Saves alot of time and money. Plus I can go and lay out a job by myself with my lazer level and get all the grades down before I even break ground. Its worth it if you get a stair job. You can figure out exactly how many steps you'll need and what not. Take it for what its worth thats just my opinion.
  9. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Around this time of the season you can look an ebay and find a good quality self level for under $500 I highly recommend getting one no matter the size of the project.
    (specially self leveling)
  10. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member