Building 1st pond

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by jsaunders, Jul 1, 2007.

1. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,
    I have started my first pond- Got the Deere 310 out and started to dig:) It is about 16x16+ 4 to 5 feet deep. Now I'm starting to hit the natural water table- What is the best way to proceed? It would be nice to get natural water to fill the pond yet water 4' down isn't going to help. Can you put the liner over the water and continue as planned?
    Thanks
    Joel

2. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know what your complete solution to your problem would be, but I am 99%sure you can't put the liner down. The underlying hydraulic pressure will float liner even if you have thousands of pounds of rocks on it sometime.

Your goal is to do a liner pond though?

3. jsaunders

Well I was thinking of using a liner yet it would be nice if there was another way around it, and all the while being able to use the natural water. I would like to have a "natural" pond yet have no problems going with different options.
    Can you use a liner just for the walls and let it drop into the water line - almost like having the bottom cut out- Will I be able to fill the pond or will the water drop/drain to the normal water table level?

Any help thoughts are greatly appriciated. I will try to get some pics taken of the situation. The pond is also more of a 20x20' size

Thanks
    Joel

4. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's what some people in your situation have done Buddy. If you have a shallow water table like that, you can buy a check valve that can be installed on the bottom of your pond. This valve will "burp" allowing water underneath your liner to flow into your pond inside the liner. If you're not hung up on super clear water, you should be good to go with this way of setting up your pond. :)

The risk of having water under your liner is one of the reasons why it's a bad idea to line the bottom of your pond with rocks. In a pond like this, if you drain the pond to clean the crud out from the bottom of the pond, you run the risk of floating your liner. Just because there wasn't water in your pond excavation when you dug your pond, doesn't mean your local water table hasn't risen above the level of the bottom of your excavation at some other time. If you don't drain your pond, the weight of the water in the pond will keep your liner in place. If you drain that pond in a situation like this though, you just caused yourself a whole lot of work to rectify the problem you just created. It's float city!

5. jsaunders

Hello Vic,

Thanks for the check valve suggestion- I'm not looking to get crystal clear water. Whould the check valve almost be like a sump pump set up? Heres my idea:

Would it be alright to dig out an area for a 55 gallon drum(plastic) at the bottom of the pond and then punch some "drain" holes in it and then drop the sump in?

I'm thinking if I went this route I should put some 3/4-1" rock around the drum along with some geo- fabric to help stop some of the sand.

I hope I'm thinkng along the right lines- If I'm not please set me staight.
    Joel

6. Victor

I guess it might work if you did it that way. If you had trouble with your sump pump, you sure catch it trying to get to it for repairs, or replacement Joel. :)

7. jsaunders

Alright how would the check valve be step up? I really don't understand how to do it. Yes, the sump pump would suck if it went bad.
    Please teach me.
    Joel:usflag:

8. Victor

I've never done a set up like that, but I think you'd make a little gravel bed under the liner somewhere and pierce the liner where it will lay on the gravel area. You'd then install the check valve in the piercing. That's all I think there is to it. :)

9. jsaunders

Thank you for the help.