Building a basket on the front of the trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Expert Lawns, May 16, 2005.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 6.5ft wide open trailer. Looking to get a basket built for the front to hold gas cans, hedge trimmers etc. I have browsed this forum and looked at several pictures of what you guys are using. I'm just wondering what I can expect to pay in steel for the basket. Any other suggestion would be appreciated. Post any pics if you have them. Thanks

2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I had one on my 16footer. paid like 200, that was with material and welder. it was sharp...

this is a bad pic... but you can see the cans

[​IMG]

3. slapshotmike24

slapshotmike24 LawnSite Member

If you have your own welder, you could get creative and make one for almost free. For mine, I used steel from old bedframes. It was free and is stronger than regular steel you would use to make it. I will try and get a pic of it tomorrow.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

5. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

with the price of gas the way it is, I want to do mine like yours is Mac except i want to lock in the gas cans too. I'm thinking mesh cage for them and boxes for hedger, saw, ect.

6. olderthandirt

from here

The big box holds 2 mantis tillers, Stihl hedge trimmers, blower, all combi attachments + shovels rakes etc. The tongue box holds signs, chains, binders, spray cans, and the occasional 2-3 bags of fert if it starts raining. The gas cans are not locked becouuse there usually empty :D we carry fuel in a bigger tank in the 1 truck, only 2 cycle on the trailor.

7. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya, I considered a truck box tank, still may go that route. I like you boxes and may work off of that as a starting point.
    your lift assist looks like you ran pipes full length, am i right? spring caged inside?

8. olderthandirt

from here

Yes, full length springs inside wrapped in cable, gate lifts with 1 hand even after the additional 2 ' that was added.

9. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I made mine out of Angle iron for the frame and then used plywood to enclose it. I wanted something water proof and something you couldn't see inside since i leave everything in it over night. It cost me $90 to build it this way, it would have cost $260 or $300 if i used "expanded metal" thats the mesh like on gates. With the rise in metal costs even the local discount place is pricey. I used to be able to get expanded metal real cheap but its 90 bucks for 4'x6'

In this pic it looks huge but its 2'x2' by 6.5' wide. All the bolts i used are either the smooth headed kind or I welded the nut/bolt together on the inside so it cna't be undone.

100_5248.JPG

10. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Mac, I just read that link you put and realized your like 30 or 40 mins away only. Hi neighbor :D