Building a boom sprayer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LawnsharkMB, Jun 20, 2013.

1. LawnsharkMB

LawnsharkMB LawnSite Senior Member

I want to be able to spray fertilizer which is why I want to spray the higher volume.

My question was just basically if it would be a good idea to go ahead and get a bigger pump than the 2.1 gpm.

The mechanic at the golf course I work at that helped me put the sprayer on the mower told me I would need one if I wanted to spray higher volumes.

Just thought I would ask some people with more experience.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. LawnsharkMB

I'm gonna go with #1.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Pythium

Pythium LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

Google "Delavan Fatboy"

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

It is a whole nother ball game if you plan to apply fertilizer as a liquid. And do not want to burn the grass. More important if the temp is over 80. In that case you need at least 2 preferably 3 gallons per thousand sqft. So you need to drive real SLOW so you cover about 1000 sqft per minute, say 1 mph.

Do it right--buy a Permagreen Triumph. Weed control sprayed. Fert as a granule.

5. PamlicoLawnCare

PamlicoLawnCare LawnSite Member

6. LawnsharkMB

That's exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Right that is 2 Gallon per Thousand just like you ask in your first Post.

8. LawnsharkMB

I got my sprayer from tractor supply as well but I got the 15 gallon with only two nozzles. Do you still recommend the 11004 tips? I don't want to spray any wider than the 80" it already sprays and would actually like a tighter pattern. All the lawns I do are small with beds that I'll have to maneuver around.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. PamlicoLawnCare

PamlicoLawnCare LawnSite Member

Sorry...I assumed we both had the same setup.

I'm not sure exactly which unit you have but it sounds like you have the unit that has two FloodJet WideAngle tips. The FloodJet WideAngle tips are high volume tips and you probably won't get 40 psi with the 2.1 gpm pump.

If you are wanting to switch to flat spray tips, yes, I would recommend the 11004 AI tips.

That 2.1 gpm pump may be sufficient to get 40 psi for 2 X 11004 AI tips.

With 2 X 11004 tips set 20" apart and 20" high you will get a spray width of less than 4'.

You could add one or even two more tips to the boom but then you would definitely need to go to the 3.8 gpm pump which would probably have pump cycling issues with so few tips.

Try two new tips first and let us know how it goes.

10. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

If you want to get 2 Gal per th your going to have to use a 11008 nozzle

or double up on 11004 nozzles

Charles Cue