building a brush chipper

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by pyroracing85, Jul 6, 2008.

1. pyroracing85

pyroracing85 LawnSite Member

Okay guys I have a new design for a brush chipper (a faster way to cut the wood) but I was just wanting to come on here and ask everybody in the industry what they ask for in a brush chipper. Also, what you use it for mostly.

Basically I am asking how big I should build this machine and for what capabilites.

Please let me know on any inside information.

I am ready to listen to everything.

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

If we are talking about wood chippers and not brush cutters for land clearing, etc. Auto feed is nice, the bigger the better, wide mouth is real handy. I dont own one, I rent, and the last year I have subbed out all my tree work to a friend in the business. My complaints in the past are easily dullable cutters, and weak clutches. I dont know how you would make one faster, cause Ive seen some real fast ones, but good luck.

3. pyroracing85

What diameter tree do you think is the most popular to cut? I see 6" is the max on some of the smaller machines.

6" is pretty large diameter for doing just residental?

4. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

have you looked into just buying one? why on earth do you want to build a chipper?

5. pyroracing85

I mean if you are going to do just tree trimming and not removal then I wouldn't see the need for any more than 6"..

6. pyroracing85

I am not in the lawn business. I am in the manufacturing business and I have a design for a cutter that would perform better than already out there that I got from the rock crushing industry that I currently work at.

7. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

6 inches is a little small. Not really worth spending the money on a machine for only 6 inches. Good luck though. Just think of bringing up the size of debri that it can handle.

8. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

6" is about the biggest a homeowner would buy with most of them being smaller. Unless it's a guy just starting out or a small tree service most professionals will have chippers 10-12" and larger.

From my experience in the tree industry, a growing concern in a lot of areas is chip quality not just speed. High quality chips allow you to leave them on site instead of having to dump them elsewhere. In a lot of metro areas, dumping green waste is getting very expensive and there just aren't as many places to dump large quantities of low quality chips like you might be able to do in more rural areas.

9. Hortus

Hortus LawnSite Member

Agree for the most part, no less than 12" for professionals and the quality of chips as described. It would be great if the unit could handle palm fronds and the like in producing it into a workable by-product. As it is now, the fronds are just long shreds that are hard to reuse on paths or beds.

The machine being serviceable by the operator is a high priority, as well as cost of replacement of maintenance items(i.e. knives of the conventional kind) and the availabilty of those items.

Are you thinking gas or diesel? Depending on the focus market for your product and the price, I know of one certified professional just south of you, who would help in marketing your product. :dancing: