building a Ferris Dual Drive?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevesmowing, Mar 3, 2008.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at putting together a Ferris Dual Drive.

I have the following parts for it:

Rear Frame only with idler pulleys, linkages, and controls.

Here is what I need and the prices:

- Deck (I have access to a 61" brand new fixed deck loaded with everything on it for $600)
    - Engine (Thinking like a 23hp kawi for just under $1,400 from J-thomas.)
    - Hydro Pumps/Motors (J-thomas claims to have both of these for around $750 each so $1,500 for both sides)
    - Rear Tires and Rims ($150 from J-thomas)
    - About $100 in other misc. parts
    - Shipping and Taxes ~$350

Grand Total $4,000.

So for $4,000 I could have almost a brand new mower. Would you guys go ahead and buy all of these peices and put the machine together? Brand new I think they go for at least 7,000 with tax.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

how many hours do you think it would take to assemble everything...and make it work?

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Using this approach, some common questions are put to rest:
    - How far away is the dealer?
    - Does the dealer offer loaner machines during downtime?
    - Does the dealer carry spare parts?
    - Will the dealer put me first in the line of equipment needing repair?
    - What kind of financing does the dealer offer?

This is only a start to the list of issues that are solved when taking this approach.

I wish you well on your project. Please take pics and keep us updated on the progress of your project. I am sure I am not the only one interested in seeing progress and the final product. I'm curious why it will be called a Ferris. Does the base frame and linkages provide the basis for the name (I assume so with the frame you have -- Ferris, right?)?

4. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

its going to be a Ferris dual drive when complete. I have some parts from an old one, other parts will be bought. The dealer is a 3 minute walk across the street from my shop. I am guessing its going to take 40 hours to get the whole thing together. I really enjoy that kind of work, it's like a hobby to me.

5. Pumper

Pumper LawnSite Member

I would do a little more research on the drive system. There is a pair of Hydro Gear IZT's on Ebay with a starting bid of $240. Even if you paid 3 times that, it is still 1/2 what you were going to pay J Thomas. You could also look around for a local hydraulics distributor. You might be surprised what they can get the variable displacement pumps and gerotor motors for to have split system. Just my 2 cents.