Building a Firepit

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Keni, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Keni

Keni LawnSite Member

Was wondering if anyone has ever built a fire pit. I did a bid for one in spring but it will be our first. It will be constructed of stone and mortar and be about 3' tall. Customer wants the pit to be about 5' outside diameter. Looking for any advice or past experience with fire pits. Was really curious about what to put on the inside. Was thinking about using sand.

2. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I think sand would be ideal but this is advice from someone has never built one. Also I heard cant remember if it was LS or not but some stones dont do well with extreme heat ie; they can explode, you might want to research that a little. Post some pics when your done, stone fire pits look nice.

3. neighborguy

neighborguy LawnSite Member

I built one to an architects specs this past summer. My first thought is that 5' outside diameter is too small. Once you remove the depth of the stone around the whole thing your diameter of useful space is reduced. The pit that I built was about 21" above the finished height of a patio and had a 7' (I think) diameter. Once the stonework was done the interior diameter was 5'. We were also told to leave vent holes near the bottom to allow oxygen to get to the fire. We placed copper pipe in the wall to create these vents. If I think of any other details I will post again.

4. Keni

Keni LawnSite Member

I was thinking the same thing that 5' was to small and should be bigger. There is no limitation on space. I had never heard of vent holes but it makes sense. It would be like trying to burn inside a barrell with no holes in the bottom. Thanks for the information. I will post some pics when Im done.