Building a home-made putting green..??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Oct 3, 2004.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I had a brainstorm this weekend when I was looking at the back 3rd of backyard where I have killed off the grass and was planning to raise up the area with soil and then mulch it. There are a number of smaller dogwoods and a few honey locust trees so the area gets partial to full sun.
    My brainstorm was to install a sand bunker and take a shot at creating a putting green. I know nada about putting greens except that the base soil/sand is critical. I'm not looking for the putting area to be of the quality of a golf course green but at least somewhat level with a few undulations.
    We're in PA zone 6. If you have any expereince in doing this I'd appreciate your advice or opinion. If the project is not successful its no big deal as I can go back to plan A. Just thought I'd get some input from you folks...thanks

2. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

3. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

The problem with a real putting green is not only the knowledge necessary to construct one but the tremendous amount of maintenance required to keep it up,even for a halfway decent one.That's why the artificial ones are becoming so popular.

4. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

THanks Steve...in fact earlier this morning I looked at a couple of sites you noted. From what I've read so far, the installation does not sound like a big deal...but....the almost daily maintenance might be more work than I'm interested in doing. I was kind of hoping that I could find a seed type that might not be as smooth as bentgrass, but would require less daily maintenance and disease susceptibility. Artificial greens are nice but I dont want to get into the expense and work of pouring concrete..thanks again cifical

Allstar...yep I was typing when you were and you are right about the maintenance issues...might there be a seed type that would not be as high maintenance as bentgrass??

5. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

Around here(S.C.) only the real nice golf courses have bent grass greens because they are so difficult and expensive to maintain.I believe most of the smaller clubs and the public courses have bermuda greens.
    Bent grass may be OK in Pennsylvania,though because it's not as hot in the summertime.The last time I played golf on a couse with bent grass there were big fans mounted around the greens so it must be somewhat heat intolerant.Good luck if you decide to do it.

6. woodycrest

woodycrest LawnSite Senior Member

GarPA,

it doesnt matter what kind of seed you use, as long as the grass is green and the putting surface is flat(smooth). Top dressing existing turf , then overseeding with whatever seed you want works fine. Since you said you are not concerned about the 'perfect' green this is an easy way to do it.

Its as simple as just cutting the grass short.

one small green is not a big deal to look after. THe putting surface is easily 'flattened' by numerous light topdressings with sand.
    if you want a USGA standard green, then this method wont 'cut it'.

7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I installed a green about 4 years ago. It does require a lot of maintenance but it doesn't take that long. I have fun with the different mowers I collected to mow various areas like the fringe, green and body. The green is Penn G2 bent mowed to 1/4", the fringe is Kentucky blue/perrenial rye mowed at 1/2", and the body of the lawn is Kblue/rye mowed at 1". It is a great deal of fun and relaxation after a hard day in the field. At night several neighbors also join in on the fun of hitting buckets of balls.

Here are some pics...

2373small.jpg

2375small.jpg

2379small.jpg

8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

[​IMG]

Heres the one I built back in 97 ..... even has a sand trap

Gonna run ya some $$ to build n maintain .... looking at $2k in without labor n bout half that per year to maintain

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

A real-life putting green Gary? Damn, I gotta move out to central PA for the big $$$...lol

10. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

I looked into it but it seemed a little expensive, the push mower for the green a think was 400.00