Building a Landscape Body

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DavidD, Oct 5, 2011.

1. DavidD

DavidD LawnSite Member
    from sc

Okay since winter is here and I need a new project Ive decided to build a Landscape bed with dove tail,Ramp,Racks ect onto a F250 I recently purchased.
    The truck is a 87 F250. The reason I purchased such a old truck was a few reasons. this truck has a completely rebuilt 4.9L 300 straight six. Ive owned trucks with this engine before they have plenty torque and get decent fuel mileage. It also has a rebuilt 4 speed and new clutch.In SC we have to pay personal property tax on vehicles which the older the vehicle the lower the tax.
    The truck is tight and runs good. The cab will need painting and I will also paint it and the bed when finished putting the bed together.
    I'm building the whole thing from scratch. Ive already in the last several yrs transformed 5 box trucks to dump trucks.This project will probably take a few months soooo if this thread interests you check back now and again.
    I'll be picking up some metal tomorrow to get rolling here are a few pics of what i'm working with. I forgot to get a pick before removing the truck bed....

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s280/dtmattox/landscapetruck/IMG01991-20111005-1831.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s280/dtmattox/landscapetruck/IMG01990-20111005-1830.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s280/dtmattox/landscapetruck/IMG01989-20111005-1830.jpg

2. mowandblow1980

mowandblow1980 LawnSite Member

subscribed. Good luck with the build. I really like the idea of a landscape body so you dont have to tow a trailer. I would have to have one built because i don't have the ability to do it myself.

3. DavidD

DavidD LawnSite Member
    from sc

4. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

WOW nice to see older truck frames that have NO rust on them like they do up here in N.H. What part of S.C. are you? Parents just built a house in Myrtel Beach area and looking for a landscaper

5. XLS

XLS LawnSite Silver Member

subscribed . cant wait to see this job rolling.
    What size steel is in the pictures ? 6" x 1/4" thick

6. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

Another subscribed
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. flatlander42

flatlander42 LawnSite Silver Member

yup..........subbed here too!

8. DavidD

DavidD LawnSite Member
    from sc

Im in the upstate Near greenville. About 4 hrs from the beach.

4" x 1/4" and 3" x 1/4" I need to keep the body light since it is only a 3/4 ton.
    There is also some 1-1/2 x 1 1/2" tubing and a piece of 3/8" flat bar as well.
    I'm thinking a 30 Deg angle for the dove tail but i'll mock it up with a wood 2x4
    to check it. I only need 7 1/2" under the bed for wheel clearance the axle bottoms out at 7"

9. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

If's funny how we all want to see "us" build our own beds, me included. Does anyone kmow if the E-350 ambulance was finished? It was red and white I think.

10. DavidD

DavidD LawnSite Member
    from sc